CM - Control Module Flashing, 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan

How important is it to have the CM software/firmware updated?

I just bought a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with the 3.3 liter engine. I looked at a few others before buying this one, and I paid a dealer to inspect the candidates. On one model (a 2003 GC Sport with

3.8 ) the dealer said the engine CM and the transmission CM needed to be brought up to most recent firmware version at a cost of $160.91.

How can I tell what firmware version I am currently running in my engine CM and transmission CM? What are the benefits of the specific CM updates? Should this really cost so much, can this only be performed by a 5-star Dodge/Chrysler dealer?

Reply to
HKEK

A scan tool can do this. The chrysler scan tools can do it of course. So can others.

Reduced engine and transmission wear, better fuel economy.

Would it pay for itself over the life of the vehicle? I don't know, how long do you intend on owing it?

$160 isn't bad IMHO. But you might negotiate a bit. Ask them if you would be willing to buy a transmission fluid change (make sure it's a regular change not a flush with one of those pressure flushing systems) would they do the firmware update for less money, since they would already be spending time on it.

Yes and no. Yes, the Chrysler dealers are the only ones with the firmware (that an ordinary person can get to) But, there are companies that rebuild the things, and they firmware update them. You can buy a reman unit from the aftermarket that will come with current firmware. But, it will be more expensive.

Another way you can do it at least with the transmission computer is you can find them in wrecking yards. Chrysler tags the case of the trans computer with the firmware version, if a dealer flashes it, they are supposed to write the fact on a tag on the computer. All you have to do is go to a wrecker and find another 2002 Caravan the same model as yours and same tire size, and check the computer in it, if it's a newer firmware version, just swap the computers.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to