Consumer Reports rates the 300 and 300C

Audi has been using CVT's in ~200hp cars for a few years, and as far as I know, relibility has been ok. Unless Ford is using the same ones Audi uses, they are probably a new unit and I, for one, wouldn't want to buy one for a couple years. On a related note, does anyone know the source of the 6-speed used in the FWD 500? It is from Japan, so I would guess the supplier might be Mazda, but that's just a guess.

Reply to
KokomoKid

Or any other UGI (universal generic import).

Reply to
Steve

For the record, also Subaru's Justy in (IIRC), late 80's/early 90's.

Bill Putney

Yep the Subaru CVT did not hold up and GM just closed the design shop on their CVT. Will be interesting if FOrd can make it work.

Reply to
Art

Apparently Audi's works, but I think the biggest engine they use it with is the 1.8 turbo of about 170hp.

Reply to
KokomoKid

"KokomoKid" wrote

used in the FWD 500? It is from Japan, so I would guess the supplier

It's someone called Aisin. see

The best source of info on the Ford 500 I've found is

Dave Gower

"Art" wrote

They claim their design is fundamentally different, better material in the belt or something like that. Anyway we'll see.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Reply to
KokomoKid