Consumer Reports? Reliability Results

GM in the last two paragraphs

Consumer Reports? Reliability Results

Though we don?t have a [sub] for Consumer Reports? members-only data, their latest reliability survey summary has enough interesting tidbits to warrant a mention. Based on their subscriber base?s 1.4m autos, and using only data available for at least 100 examples of a given model, the survey is one of the better indicators of reliability out there (although when it comes to this topic there is no gospel). If nothing else, it?s hard to argue that CR?s reliability results aren?t influential, so sales are definitely at stake. The results? All Toyota/Lexus/Scion received ratings of ?average? or better, an improvement over last year when CR found Camry V6, Tundra V8 4WD, and the Lexus GS AWD to be lacking. Honda/Acura and Subaru also showed extremely well where complete data was available, and Hyundai/Kia models were average or better except for Sedona and Entourage. Hybrids also scored surprisingly well, with nine gas-electrics scoring above average. But CR is making the biggest fuss over Ford, which they say is ?on par? with the Japanese firms on all but a few truck-based models. The rest of the Detroit firms? Not quite so much.

General Motors is a mixed bag. Among the bright spots is the redesigned Chevrolet Malibu; in its first year, the four-cylinder version is better than average and the V6 is average. The Buick Lucerne with a V8 and the Pontiac G6 with a four-cylinder are above average, and the Chevrolet Avalanche has improved to average.

But a quarter of GM models are still well below average in reliability. Some that didn?t fare well are fairly new designs that did well in our testing, such as the Cadillac CTS and the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Saturn Outlook SUV triplets. Chrysler trails the pack. Almost two-thirds of its products rate below average for reliability. The redesigned 2008 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan minivans earned low scores, as did the Chrysler Sebring V6 and Dodge Avenger sedans and the Jeep Liberty SUV. The Sebring Convertible has the worst score: 283 percent worse than average. The only above-average models are the Dodge Caliber hatchback and Jeep Patriot SUV.

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

At one point in my life, when I had to buy used cars, I bought one based on the CR rating and it was one of the most problematic cars I ever owned.

What good is any survey when the things that are used to determine "average" are never quantified?

I.E. Did you have a transmission problem? Brand "X" is below average and brand "Y" is listed as above average.

The problem with the brand "X" tranny was that a $100 electoral part failed The problem with the brand "Y" tranny was that the $1,000 gear pack failed

In any event what those survey show is the failure rate for all of the cars falls within the statistical average failure rate for ALL manufactured products, 2%. That is why they all offer a warranty, even Rolls Royce.

The point is should you spend thousands more to buy a particular brand, in the hope you will not get one of their 2% that may fail, or spend thousands less knowing you are far more like to get one of the 98% that may not fail? ;)

Mike Hunter

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:57:18 -0700, Jim_Higgins fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

I think this comment is wrong.

My AV is way above average.

Even an "average" Avalanche is far ahead of the pack.

Nice midsize truck.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Midsized? It is the practically the same size as a 2500HD. What do you consider a "large" pickup?

Avalanche 1500:

Exterior length 221.3" Exterior body width 79.1" Exterior height 76.6" Wheelbase 130.0" Front tread 68.2" Rear tread 67.0" Turning radius 21.5'

Silverado 2500HD 4x2 Regular Cab 8 ft. box

Exterior length 224.7" Exterior body width 79.9" Exterior height 76.4" Wheelbase 133.0" Front tread 68.1" Rear tread 67.0" Turning radius 22.7'

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:15:43 -0400, C. E. White fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

:

My truck is small by comparison.

Reply to
PerfectReign

:) And that is small compared to this

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 07:31:37 -0500, C. E. White fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

LOL!

Hey, compared to the sub-compact Civic with the 1.1L engine, my truck is big.

But I still hit my head on the headliner if I sit up straight. :P

Reply to
PerfectReign