coolan leak question again

Asked this question before and I am having new theory on this leak now.

Previously, I was thinking that my radiator/water pump or whatever is leaking and I asked this NG if a close to $700 radiator and hose replacement cost is reasonable.

From another post in this NG, someone mentioned the coolant reservoir shows different level while the engine is cold or hot. This stir up my curiosity. What is the normal level of coolant level (cold or hot) from a 1999 T&C?

Originally, I believe that my van's coolant is leaking big time because the green stuff is everywhere on the floor passenger right after the front bumper. I refilled the coolant to somewhere between Max and Min. The result is that I saw even more leak on floor after adding the coolant.

After a while, I forgot to add coolant, it seems stopped leaking or maybe the weather is getting cooler (it is more obvious seeing leak after the van drove for a longer distance or longer time in August and September. To my curiosity, if the coolant is really leaking how come it stays at the level around the bottom of reservoir without getting totally dried? Now I am confused if the van is really leaking...

How can I tell exactly if it does?

Reply to
harry

I assume you mean on the pavement - not in the cabin.

It's anybody's guess what exactly is leaking in that area. Wht's above that pool of coolant? A hose can leak like that - dependent on temperature and pressure. When it gets low in fluid, the system pressure will be lower (up to the point of coolant boiling) - that's why you don't see the leak when it's low. Or it could be the radiator - what about the drain c*ck on the radiator?

If there's a hose that could have a pin hole or the clamp is marginally tight, I would examine that first, and to avoid a large repair bill for a radiator would be tempted to replace the hose even if there is no obvious leaking there.

The only other advice I have is to fill it to the gills and get it as hot as you can - put a piece of cardboad in front of the radiator if you have to - but of course don't overheat it. That's to see if you can make it leak and catch it in the act. (Make sure no air bubbles are trapped.) But be aware that sometimes these leaks don't happen until some point in the cool down cycle (but since the leak seems to occur at high pressure, it appears that it would be leaking when actually hot).

Something else to think about: If it gets really low (for the times where the pool of coolant doesn't appear) that could simply mean that the coolant level in the block is lower than the point of the leak. Just something to keep in mind.

HTH!

Bill Putney

Replace your radiator cap. Sounds like it is not holding pressure so it is coming out the overflow when hot. The normal hot and cold levels are marked on the side of the reservoir. My '99 T&C sits just under the lower mark. Do not fill past the lower mark and see what happens. If you are overfilling or the cap is not working then it will come out the overflow hose.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman