Coolant in exhaust 88 Grand Voyager

I have an 88 Grand Voyager with the Mitsu 3.0L V6. Last summer I replaced the heads on it, but I had the Distributer off by 1 tooth and it overheated. I fixed it and it ran fine for 9 months. Then all of a sudden it has lots of coolant in the exhaust. I put in new head gaskets but it is doing the exact same thing. I do not see any exhaust in the coolant, nor do I see any coolant in the oil.

Could it be a cracked or warped head? Would a problem like that come on all of a sudden?

The body of the van and everything else is in great condition. I don't want to trash it for something that I may be able to fix realatively easilly. As you can tell I don't mind tearing into the engine.

Any ideas?

Reply to
paul.schlie

Yes you have a cracked or warped head,(s) Assuming you installed the headgaskets correctly. Did you by any chance put a straight edge across the heads before assembly?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Alas, no I did not. I'll remember to in the future.

Is there a way I might be able to find out which head? A friend here at work suggested drilling a small hole in the front exhaust manifold, which I could tap and plug with a bold to seal afterwards. I could then smell for coolant in the exhaust from the hole.

-- Paul

Reply to
paul.schlie

I hope that friend at work doesn't work on cars for a living!! If you cant see coolant on the spark plugs you will have to do a cylinder leak test. Special tools are needed for this. If you are gonna look at the plugs pay close attention to the middle ones. Number 4 and 5 cylinder

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy