Lots of white smoke

I have lots of white smoke with a pungent smell coming from the tailpipe of my '94 Chevy S10.

Is this a problem I can diagnose and solve on my own?

regards

Reply to
Nadeem

I would be checking the coolant level expecting to see it low from a bad headgasket.

Mike

Mike Romain

In addition to above, if you have a V6 it could be the intake gasket.

Does it run bad at all or stall at any time?? What size engine??

Reply to
ngmodert

It's a V6. It does run like it is simply chugging along. Recently, it overheated and I had to have it towed where the mechanic replaced the coolant and heater hoses, which were leaking.

Reply to
Nadeem

If it overheated then started running bad it may be one or both head gaskets. A compression test will let you know which head. It would be best to check both sides.

Depending on your skill you may be able to fix it yourself. But a mechanic might be better. If you do decide to do it yourself make sure to research it before you start.

Reply to
ngmodert

It's coolant. The REPLACE ENGINE light has come up on the dashboard. Or at the least, the head gasket.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Could possibly be ATF being sucked through the vacuum modulator, if your transmisison has one. However, based on the statement that it's overheated, I suspect that previous posters are correct and it's either intake gaskets, head gasket(s), or both. (the intake gaskets have to be replaced to replace the head gaskets, anyway.)

If the coolant level is low, check the oil. If there's any sign of "milkshake," just start tearing it down, it's at least one head gasket.

nate

Reply to
N8N

If that's the case, I'm guessing you have a blown head gasket at a minimum, warped/cracked head if you're less lucky, or a cracked block or holed piston if you're really unlucky.

Reply to
Steve

I am taking it apart to see if the gaskets should be replaced. However, I am having trouble getting the rear exhaust manifold bolts off, there is not enough clearance to get a insert normal socket and ratchet.

Should I buy a "thin profile" socket or is there another way of removing them. The bolts are not only hard to reach in a tight space, but are recessed as well, so it seems the only tool that can get a grip is a socket.

regards

Reply to
Nadeem

just buy a cheap six point socket and grind the diameter down until it will comfortably fit in the recesses. You'll probably crack it before you're done, so go ahead and buy two.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sears stores sell some end wrenches that have built in open end racheting thingys in each end of the wrenches.I own a set of them.They come in handy a lot of times. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin