Losing Coolant

2005 Dodge caravan, losing coolant but I don't see any leaks, and it is not getting into the oil. Any ideas where I can look?

TIA,

-Tom Rogers

Reply to
Tom Rogers

Tailpipe? Is it burning coolant? Have you seen white smoke coming out the back?

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Larry Crites

No white smoke at all...

Reply to
Tom Rogers

If what you are saying is excess coolant,(adding and adding and adding) and not seeing where it is going, more then likely it is seeping at the intake manifold and possibly getting sucked into the engine and out the tailpipe. Look very closely to the corners of the intake manifold and see if you see any signs of orange buildup.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I have had to refill the coolant plastic tank 2 times in the last 2 months, that is where I am noticing it. I'll look at the intake manifold area too.

If it is seeping at the intake manifold and possibly getting sucked into the engine and out the tailpipe - how would this cause the car to act? It seems to be running fine.

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Rogers

I had a small leak in the radiator. You couldn't see the leak at all really. I was having those issues as well, lot's of refilling. It would basically heat up and then boil over because the radiator wasn't fully pressurized. Because there was pressure loss during driving the boil over would occur.

The leak was a pinhole near one of the intakes. It would leak slowly and evaporate immediately. I only noticed it by a faint white trail down the radiator over time.

It would go away with the radiator stop leak stuff for a while, but return after several months. I finally changed the radiator and have not added fluid since. This was a 96 T&C with 120k miles on it. Runs great now.

Tom Rogers wrote:

Reply to
Just Me (remove

If what you are saying is excess coolant,(adding and adding and adding) and not seeing where it is going, more then likely it is seeping at the intake manifold and possibly getting sucked into the engine and out the tailpipe. Look very closely to the corners of the intake manifold and see if you see any signs of orange buildup.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

You wouldn't even notice it except the fact that you have to add coolant. I have seen this before and that's probably where yours is going. If you are still under warranty I would have it looked at.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

If still under manufacturer warranty, take it in to the dealer. If not, then try the simple things first, like replacing the radiator pressure cap. If still losing fluid, then check the obvious like hose connections, your water pump (may leak occasionally and not all the time when initially going bad), head gasket, etc.

Post what you learn to benefit others and good luck. We had this problem with our 1999 3.8L T&C Limited at 40K miles a few years back and replacing the radiator cap solved that problem. We had the same problem on a 1990

3.3L Grand Caravan and it was the water pump that had gone south at about 85K miles. It only dripped every 10th time it was parked in the garage, but we eventually saw the small puddle of antifreeze.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanx - I will take it in as it is under warranty.

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Rogers

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

You say this is a 2005. How many miles on it? If it's under warranty, take it in and let the techs figure it out!

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

which part of not seeing any leaks dont you understand dirty?

Reply to
damnnickname

what part of were do i start to look? in the first post you don't get?

damnnickname wrote:

Reply to
philthy