DC production techniques

While in KY recently, we took the opportunity to tour the Toyota plant at Georgetown. Since they build three models there, I had assumed that they must either have three assembly lines (one for each model) or build in batches, requiring tooling changes between models.

I was surprised to see that in fact they can build a "random mix" of any of the three models on either of the two assembly lines.

Does DC manufacture vehicles in "batch mode," or are their assembly lines as flexible as Toyota's? What about the other "big three" manufacturers?

It was also mentioned that all the vehicles produced at Georgetown are already sold (to dealers), so they never have a bunch of unsold vehicles sitting around. The dealers might be stuck with unsold vehicles, but not Toyota.

Does DC operate this way? If would appear that GM does not.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Yes DC does do that at Bramalea. However that said the vehicle basis is the same.

Yes, and No. When I was a district sales manager up to four years ago with DC they (VP's for sales and marketing) said that there are no such thing as Bank units(pre-built) units for sale to the dealers. Which was somewhat true and also a play with dealer codes. Our job for 3 to 4 days of the week was to call all the dealers to ensure they had ordered there allocation to cover the plants production numbers. If they did not then the trick was, that DC had numerous dealer codes set up to order the pitfalls. Then once every month or so, besides pestering dealers to order slow selling vehicles we also had to sell "other dealers inventory". Oh, they joy of selling 50 magenta Neons to one dealer!

Reply to
David