Delay to start

While driving my girlfriends 2002 Grand Cherokee, sometimes the system would refuse to start. I'd have to take the key out, hit the 'unlock' button, then try again. Once or twice I noticed a 'security' light on the dash as well, but it's not a big deal.

Yesterday something new happened. I went to start it and nothing. I was just starting to release the key and try again and it started.

I know, perception is a strange thing, but I swear it was well over a second from when I turned the key and it finally engaged the starter. Maybe even two whole seconds.

I'm under the impression that the key just sends a signal to the body computer to start, and the motor could actually be started just from commands on the vehicle bus. But I wonder, what could cause the delay like this?

Reply to
Mike Y

Do you hear a click and then nothing? If so, it could be the solenoid contacts have failed. Do a Google search on this to find a wealth of good info. If no click, then check battery connections, ignition key switch, and the starter relay circuit. You do not indicate mileage, but from my experience, most Chrysler starters fail around 60-80K miles.

Good luck. The parts are easy and cheap to replace so don't buy a rebuilt starter unless you have a lot of $ to spare or can't wait for the parts.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Nope, no click. I don't believe this is a mechanical/electrical issue. At least, not down at the starter. And it's not really an issue as such. It's just a anomaly that makes me wonder...

With a lot of the newer cars, the starter seems to be controlled by one of the computers, and the key just signals the computer to start the process. It's almost like the computer in the car goes into a suspend and when you turn the key to start it has to wake up the computer and then begin the start process.

The other thing I wonder is since the security system sometimes prevents starting (something else I can't seem to figure out why, but just turning the key off, toggling the key fob to unlock the doors, then turning the key on clears the problem) also makes me wonder. But at least in the security issue case, there's a dash light that goes on and says 'security'.

Reply to
Mike Y

Yes, I notice this on LOTS of modern cars. GMs are the worst, because not only do they delay engaging the starter, they KEEP it engaged until the engine starts even if you release the key. Really makes you feel like you're only giving suggestions to the computer and its actually running the car. I don't like that.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
philthy

Uh, no.

Well, ok, tell me why? There are no lights dimming or other indications of current limiting. How would cleaning the battery terminals help?

Reply to
Mike Y

Reply to
philthy