dist cap ?

is it possible to over tighten a distributor cap so that the rotor actually hits inside? i put a new cap on and it sounds like something's hitting in there. my neighbor changed one before this and said there was a gouge of some type in the old cap. any ideas? thanks Randy

Reply to
Randy Pape

You got other problems...

The rotor should be set into position and be clear of the cap with a small gap. SMALL. The cap sets ('indexes') on the rim and nothing you can do with the screws short of breaking the cap should be able to affect things.

Reply to
Mike Y

You can get it installed off-center, you can get a replacement cap that is manufactured with the contacts positioned off-center (a fairly common problem, unfortunately), you can get an incorrect rotor, or the distributor shaft ccan be bent. ALL of those can make the rotor hit the cap.

Reply to
Steve

we just put in a reman distributor and new cap and rotor. I'll try loosening it up a bit to see if maybe it's off center. thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Randy Pape

Also wrong cap. His next post says they have a new (reman.) distributor, so I guess wrong or incorrectly reman'ed distributor is now a possibility.

Can we assume this is the '98 Stratus?

Bill Putney

yes this is a 1998 stratus ES 2.5 v6

Reply to