don't let this happen to you!

I bought my '94 concorde in February, I thought I got a good deal on it. although the mileage is high the car is super clean on the inside and minor hood damage on the exterior I gave less than 1500. Three days after I bought it was the first time it didn't change out of second gear. I think the jerk at the car lot knew about this problem. I had the fluid and filter changed (I bought the parts, and no one bothered to tell me not to use the dexron-mercon, and that's what I bought) I've been using this mechanic for years, I called him but he was honestly clueless about this hazard. Of course, the fluid change didn't help. Everyone I talked to said they had never heard of a car with my problems. Now that I've got internet access. I find all this info. about "limp mode" and how the dexron-mercon burns up the chrysler tranys. To wrap this up, I put a new input vehicle speed sensor in my car, it took care of the code, but my transmission is ruined from the wrong fluid being it too long, although I have been told that taking so long to fix the sensor helped it along, an expensive rebuild it what I'm looking at. Hope I I've helped someone else avoid this costly mistake.

Reply to
cluelessaboutconcorde

You say no one "bothered to tell you." Did you "bother to ask?"

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Or bother to read the dipstick. Or the manual?

Reply to
bottomfeeder

If the transmission had the correct fluid in it in February and you put Dexron in it then, and Dexron has only been in the transmission for 3-4 months, that is definitely NOT enough time to ruin the transmission from the wrong fluid being in it.

3 days after you bought this car it went into limp mode. I can assure you that it's been going into limp mode for some time. Most likely that is why it was in the car lot to begin with.

Now, I don't know what you consider high mileage but have you run the Blue Book value on this car? You can do it quite easily on the web, you know. If book on this is in the $2500 range and you only paid $1500 then I would say you got a good deal. Of course you will have to pay $2K for a trans rebuild, but you will end up in total paying no more than as if you had paid an average book price at the dealership.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt