DRL

Where is the daytime running light sensor in a 1998 Plymouth Breeze?

Reply to
Rejean Smith

"Sensor"? I'm not aware of the '98 Breeze having automatic headlamp switching. What part are you looking for, and for what purpose?

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

There is a sensor on vehichles sold in Canada that keeps your headlights on at 50% power when your headlight switch is in the off position. When you turn your lights on, this over-rides the sensor and your lights function normally. The snsor in my car is burned out and I would like to replace it..

Reply to
Rejean Smith

It's not a "sensor" as you are calling it. The only "sensor" that would be a part of a headlamp/daytime running lamp system would be on vehicles equipped with automatic headlamp switching. Your Breeze hasn't got that feature, therefore no sensor.

The Daytime Running Light function is provided in one of several ways depending on the vehicle. Chrysler products with reduced-intensity high beam DRLs such as yours usually have an electronic control module which, using a power resistor or a Pulse Width Modulation circuit, sends less-than-full power to the high beams. However, there are *numerous* variants. Some vehicles have a module that simply puts the high beams in series with each other. Some vehicles have a module that puts the low and the high beam filament on each side of the vehicle in series with each other. Some vehicles have a resistive or PWM module that supplies slightly reduced voltage to the low beams. Some vehicles have a combination turn signal/DRL module that burns the front turn signal filaments full time as DRLs. Some vehicles have a module that runs the front fog lamps as DRLs. Some vehicles have separate, dedicated DRL units.

The Chrysler reduced-intensity high beam DRL module is not nearly as failure prone as the Ford item, but that's faint praise. I'm not quite certain where it is in the '98 Breeze, but it may be within the left front fender, accessible by removing the left front tire/wheel and removing the plastic inner fender liner. You can either pay a lot of money for a factory replacement module that will fail again, or you can go to the turn signal DRL system with this module:

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Dan, I thought you had concerns with turn signal DRL configurations. Namely...the amber color, potential signaling ambiguity and reduced signaling filament life.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Why don't you just save the $$$ and get in the habit or routinely turning your lights on manually?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I agree, if the DRLs mean so much to you turn on the low beam headlights.

There's a sensor on the e-brake too. Deactivates DRLs when the e-brake is on. Same switch as the e-brake indicator. But your question is being rather vague as to what "sensor". Are you sure the high beam filaments aren't burned out?

Reply to
Bill 2

Yes, all of those.

However, they beat high-beam DRLs to a bloody pulp.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

No sale for this guy. DRLs are mandatory equipment in Canada. He'll fail provincial safety inspection without 'em.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

headlights.

He didn't say what province he was from, if it is Ontario, then there is no yearly inspection.

Reply to
Bill 2

I can't argue with that, now that you mention it.

Question, do you have any inside poop as to when in the world the NHTSA is going to make some final rules on DRL intensity limits, requirements, etc. They've been sitting on this thing for what, 9 years now?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The latest unofficial word is "sometime early next year". The final rule was due in '99.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Well, that's better than "when hell freezes over" I guess! Which was when I thought it was scheduled!! :-) The timing then explains GM's recent news releases on the subject, I suppose. I hope common sense (like your great input & suggestions) wins out over politics. But, the world doesn't always turn on common sense, I'm afraid.

Thanks Daniel for the insight!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

| > I agree, if the DRLs mean so much to you turn on the low beam headlights. | | No sale for this guy. DRLs are mandatory equipment in Canada. He'll fail | provincial safety inspection without 'em. |

Now THATs a bummer!

Reply to
James C. Reeves