Trip Odometer Resets Itself

I have a new 2003 PT Cruiser, and the trip odometer resets itself if the car sits for a couple of days without being driven. Any thoughts about why this is happening and how it
can be corrected?
When I first started noticing this happen I took it to the dealer who replaced the instrument cluster. At first I thought the problem was fixed, but then I realized that the car simply had to sit for a longer length of time before its trip odometer reset itself. I guess if I drove the car more regularly I wouldn't have a problem. However, my job requires me to travel, so I have to leave the car in the airport parking lot for several days at a time. Anyway, I'm concerned that I may have stumped my dealer's service department as well as Chrysler's tech support desk. If I take it back to the dealer they may just want to change out the instrument cluster again. I was hoping that some clever moparphile might be able to shed some light on the problem before I take it back to my dealer.
Any help will be appreciated.
Al Phillips
-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

do you have the overhead also????
Soars with Turkeys wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with "overhead." FWIW my PT Cruiser is the base model. Power windows, locks, etc. Automatic transmission. Not much else.
Al Phillips
if you had a overhead console it would also get it's info from the bcm and it might have been a clue to a pci bus issue or something out
Soars with Turkeys wrote:

Others have had similar issues: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=trip+odometer+resets&btnG=Google+Search
Make sure your button is loose: Push it all the way in and let it SNAP out suddenly. - RM

Thanks, Rick. I'll make sure that the button pops back out smartly. However, I doubt if this is the problem. It only happens after the car has sat for a couple of days. If I'm driving it frequently it never happens.
Al Phillips
Soars with Turkeys wrote:

May want to have a competent shop perform a current draw test on your battery when the car is turned off. It seems like a long shot, especially if your car starts OK after setting for several days, but I wonder if your battery is getting drawn down by something.
Matt