Electrical Warning - 2000 Concorde XL

While pulling into a parking lot this afternoon, it appeared my engine stalled while moving (dash lights came on: oil, AB traction or whatever). I put the care in neutral and reved the engine. It was running. Shut it off, attempted to restart, didn't start right away, turned key off then on again... started. Parked.

The drive home was uneventful until I got off the freeway and close to my house. Started hearing a "thump" in the right front speaker as the radio played. Turned radio off then on. Thump. Pulled in drive and shut 'er down. Repeat of the symptomes in the parking lot... but the car started.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? I believe there's a diagnostic test I can run to get a code but I've forgotten the basics. Do have an official service manual though. Can someone please point me in the right direcetion to get an idea of what's going wrong?

Reply to
jaygreg

Did you get a "no bus" message in the odometer window? If not, then it sounds like your battery is on the way out (typical symptoms of failing battery in the LH cars).

Especially if the battery is the original, you need to replace it

*ANYWAY* - being a 2000, you're running on borrowed time. That will probably fix the problem, but if not, you really need a new battery to keep from getting stranded at some inopportune time irrespective of the symptoms you are reporting. If a new battery doesn' fix it, then pursue the cause of what your seeing later, but will not have lost a thing replacing the battery first because you're way overdue - but I bet a new battery will fix it.

Bill Putney

Reply to
jaygreg