Engine identification

Is there any way of identifying if an engine in a car is the original engine that the car was manufactored with? I have a 95 Neon, which is suppost to have 370,000kms on it. I know that the owner before me messed with it a bit as the gauge cluster was swapped and sold as if it has 134,000kms on the car. Now since I have done some minor work on the car, (changed front wheel bearings, plugs, intake and oil) I have noticed that the car has a great amount of power for a old engine with alot of millage on it. The engine is the 2.0l single over head cam. Is there any way of locating identification numbers on the car, engine and so on, and identify if they where part of the origial package?

Mike e-mail mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
Mike

maxpower

You could check the CarFax history and see if you can find any trends or inconsistencies that might help solve your mystery. Some mileage info appears on those reports. I am presuming CarFax tracks Canadian cars... Good luck. Bob

original

engine

Reply to
BeeP

Try CarFax - the report might show some trends or inconsistencies in mileage along the history of the car. Good luck. Bob

original

engine

Reply to
BeeP

Reply to
Mike

REMOVE the NOCRAP in my address to reply.

Reply to
Len

Atleast I am not the only one that got the run around from everyone I called regarding this. In short, I was told that because this was a private sale, and not through a dealer, I am pritty much F$&ked. I drove by where the guy lived and where I picked the car up, about a month later, and it was for rent. (totally emptied). I am really begining to wonder if this was a chop shop deal. Wouldn't make much sense to waste time on a 95 Neon, but that is the way it is begining to look. Mike