Euro NCAP test on Chrysler Neon

Hi all,

We are very seriously considering replacing our Renault Scenic with a new Chrysler Neon. (We live in South Africa.) This car has, thusfar, impressed me in every aspect except safety. The problem is that I cannot get information on European NCAP (New Car Assessment Program) tests for this car. This is strange since I was under the impression that all cars sold in the EU had to be tested. I have checked at the NCAP website

many of Chrysler's websites and have even done a Google search. I would be appreciative if someone could enlighten me as to why this car has not been tested - or how it did, if it has been tested. I would also be interested to hear of result from any other 3rd party car assessment program.

Thank You

- J Farron

Reply to
Josh Farron

The crash tests vehicles must undergo for ECE Type Approval -- which all vehicle designs must undergo in order to be approved for sale -- are not the same as the NCAP tests, which are aimed primarily at assessing the degree to which the mandatory safety standards are causing manufacturers to design safe vehicles and at informing consumers.

The US DOT's Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards are different to the ECE crash standards used outside North America, and of course cars in North America are Left Hand Drive rather than the RHD cars you'd be looking at in South Africa. Nevertheless, American-design cars sold abroad generally tend to retain most or all of their North American crashworthiness engineering, with modifications to comply with rest-of-world standards being largely confined to equipment changes (lighting, glass, mirrors, seatbelts, controls and displays, etc.).

USDOT runs an NCAP programme, and you may search by make, model and year here:

Leave the year blank,select "Dodge" for the make and "Neon" for the model. Looks like it doeswell.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thank you. The US NCAPs will suffice. It does seem to have done well (I compaired its results to other cars for which I know the Euro NCAP results).

Reply to
Josh Farron

Yes, EuroNCAP is not mandatory, though is widely used and respected (in Europe, anyway). Maybe Neon sales in Europe are not great enough for sponsoring organisations to have made the effort (and investment) to test-crash them.

It was a Renault that was the first to gain 5 stars in the revised test, but I can't remember which model it was.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling