exhaust system

On mine 1992 Plymouth Acclaim (3L) catalytic converter is rusted inside and basically the element is gone. Rest of the system looks bad too. Is it OK to drive without converter , and is it going to effect emission test results? what is the chance to block the exhaust system with pieces of catalytic converter? At Thruway I was given estimate price C$550 to change all . Is the price fair ?

Thanks for advice Susanna Toronto/Scarborough

Reply to
Scar

Replacement will not be expensive.

Cost of replacement is less than cost of asphyxiation death.

Federally illegal.

Yes, you will fail the test.

Very high chance.

The price is almost suspiciously low. If the rest of the car is in good shape and you plan on keeping it, you may want to get some comparative quotes. Don't know Thruway; Speedy does acceptable work with acceptable-quality parts. Do not use Canadian Tire.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

ThruWay is known as a reasonable cost muffler shop. As long as they install the correct converter for that price you should be fine. A "direct fit" aftermarket converter should be around $300 installed,leacing 200 for pipe and muffler. I had stainless steel put on my Ford for $200 cat back. (Canadian dollars, too.)

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce