98 Grand Caravan- Radiator Fan wiring Disconnected - Is this a safety proc or ?

HI.

Recently, I discovered that my radiator fans where not kicking in.  Fortunatly,  I noticed this prior to having my motor overheat.   It only went outside of normal operating zone once (based on temperature guage) but it did not reach the Hot mark and did not see steam rising from mortor or  rad cooller.

In poking around under the hood I found an wiring connector that was not hooked up to anything and nor did I know where to hook it up :-).  The Fan shroud, air clearner and the air cleaner intake make it hard to see anything.   This connector, was partially hidden under the battery on the drivers side.

I took it into my garage and it turns out that the connector I saw was what controled the radiator fan.   My garage stated that it must of worked its way loose.

A few months ago, I took it in for servicing and they replaced the hose from the rad to the transmission.

What I am wondering is:

1) whether it is truly possible for this type of connector to come loose as it one of those locking connectors? -- Trying to figure out is the garaged goofed and is not owning up to it. 2) whether disconnecting the rad fans is a basic safety procedure when working near the rad 3) Whether there is any risk to engine/tran/ac components  even though my engine only went outside  normal op temp once but showned no signs of overheating?
Reply to
Mark Lucas

Well, there is a truism that wierd problems with mechanical things can sometimes find their origins in the things last touched.

There is also another truism (mine) that indicates that people who associate themselves by signature line with an institute of higher learning, particularly a Canadian university, should take extra pains to pose their questions on usenet with minimal typos, spelling mistakes, and poor grammar.

[...]

cavedweller

...and before one criticizes the spelling of others, one should check one's own spelling. 8^) (hint: check the very first line of your post)

Bill Putney

And only Bill would point that out

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
cavedweller

He does, because he can.....

Reply to
cavedweller

Yes, that seems to invariably induce at least one spelling error. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

typo, actually....

Reply to
cavedweller

What fun!!

Reply to
cavedweller

Nah - one man's typo is another man's spelling error. 8^)

Bill Putney

Of course, your write, I should of known that......

Reply to
cavedweller

He's well acquainted with the weird. (and the wired)

And he's not the only one who that transposition jumped out at. Some of us have had lots of experience seeing the naked Emperor.

Ted

PS Just so you know for the future, the proper thing to do when you have had your own pants pulled down after making a spelling flame, is to crawl under a rock and hide for a while.

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Now why would I do that? You don't. -) Besides, I think I'll brazen it out and suggest that the first "error" was just a plant...

Reply to
cavedweller

True, true. :-)

Ted