Are aftermarket catalytic converters OK?

I have a 94 Concorde with 125K miles on it. I've just had the transmission rebuilt and the transmission shop guys noticed that I had an exhaust system leak which wasn't a surprise since I'd been smelling something for the last month or so. My local mechanic says I need a new catalytic converter. He is going to put in an aftermarket catalytic converter which will cost me $550 vs $1200 for a Chrysler part. Seems like a reasonable price to me assuming that there aren't any major issues with using a non-Chrysler part. I only plan to keep the car for another year or two. Are there any problems with using a non-Chrysler CC?

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Well, since exhaust components like mufflers and catcons are out-sourced by the OEM anyway, you're might well be just buying it direct from the guys that build it for Chrysler in the first place. If its a recognizable brand (Walker, for example) then I wouldn't hesitate an instant.

Reply to
Steve

None at all, as long as it's a quality unit. I've had good luck with the Catco brand over the years; Walker and Goerlich's also make good converters. $550 still sounds high, even with labor. Check the prices at one of the online sites like

or
.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I'm having the work done by my neighborhood auto repair shop, I have no interest in doing it myself nor do I have the necessary skills or tools. I am interested in knowing if the price for the job ($550) is in the right ball park.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

And, of course, good ol' NN's advice is as useless and illegal as usual.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

They might, but they aren't allowed to resell them.

Weld galvanized? Are you nuts or what?

There are many things other than lead that will poison a cat-con.

That would pretty much depend on which type of smog test is being implemented and what the cut points are.

I find it hard to believe that you'd have any knowledge WRT the number of cars tested and whether or not the catalytic convertor on any of them was tested cold.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Of course he's nuts, its "Nomen." Don't encourage the troll.

Reply to
Steve

That price is with labor. What do you think is a reasonable price for this job? BTW I live in Massachusetts which is a high cost state.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Given the fact that Chrysler just settled a lawsuit with the EPA that caused them to extend the warranty on many of their Catalytic converters because they were failing at such an alarming rate, I think taking a chance on an after market is not a bad idea.

$550 sounds high. Installation shouldn't be more than a couple of shop hours tops. I just purchased a Catco for my Dodge truck for self installation at $134. BTW the Catco has a 5 year warranty.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

That's not "high cost" thats "highway robbery."

Ahem:

OR

I recently installed the one on that page listed as "universal fit premium" myself in my driveway in about an hour. I am familiar with working on cars and had a big tubing cutter to remove the old convertor easily, so I'm not recommending that you do that yourself, but $500 should get you an OEM-equivalent quality convertor INSTALLED on this vehicle.

Reply to
Steve

If your only going to keep the car for a few more years and the catcon is still doing it's job of reducing emissions, then go to an exhaust place and they should be able to weld a patch over the hole. Of course, it won't last permanently but it should last until you sell the car.

Keep in mind that because of where you live and the age of the car, there's a good chance that the entire exhaust system is getting close to being rotted out anyway. Might as well patch it and wait for it to be completely rotted out, then replace everything.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Could it be completely rotted in?