flywheel timing mark

My Dodge 360 engine's timing can only be checked looking downward at the flywheel from an inspection hole inside the van. The smog specs call for 6 degrees retarded. Since there are no reference marks at the inspection hole except for a "centering" line on the hole, can someone tell me how many fractions of an inch I should eyeball the flywheel indicator mark from "center?" I assume the smog check station also have to approximate the mark. Last time I had the beast smogged they had to check the timing by this method. Any input would be appreciated. Dick snipped-for-privacy@pronet.net

Reply to
Dick Johnson

Suggest you set the timing where the van runs well (6 degrees retarded probably isn't it), buy the Mopar Performance timing tape and adhere it to the damper in such a location as to indicated 6ATDC when the actual timing is whatever you set it to.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern