Fuel Pump Replacement on 95 Voyager Minivan--Difficulty-?

hey

I just learned that my fuel pump is not long for this world. I want to do the replacement myself to save a buck or two. I have worked with fuel tanks and take all precautions. I have heard that there are aftermarket repair parts, and wonder if they will give the same result as a new whole unit, which is over 260 bucks. Anyone done this-?

AND--the back three spark plugs are a little tricky on ths 6-cyl model (3.0 mitsubishi OHC engine)--a guy suggested actually removing a wheel well--any better suggestions or procedures-?

Thanks in advance, and MOPAR to ya--Buzzy

1995 Voyager standard wheelbase
Reply to
Buzzy

Stay away from after market pumps, get the complete module with sending unit and all from Chrysler. If you havent replaced the fuel filter in awhile now is a good time to do it. Take the wheel off to get the plugs??/ I Don't Think So!! Those plugs are easily replaced by removing the air cleaner assembly and getting them from the top of the engine.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I just finished changing the level sensor unit on my 99. A word of advice if the cap unit is the same. It will seem (at least it did to me) like the flange cap is tight on the tank before it actually is. It will leak if not fully tight. You need a good strap wrench or a spanner wrench to get it tight.

Funny thing about that sensor. WHen I went to the dealer to buy the unit, another guy was there getting the same thing. Asked me If I ever got SHell gas off of I-10 around Biloxi. Happens, I go down there a few times a year and I usually buy Shell. He said the Shell distributor down there has gas with an additive that eats up the level sending units. Has anyone heard about gasoline that destroys these sending units?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Yes, google the problem with Shell gasoline. There was a lawsuit and fine in Canada by DaimlerChrysler and the Canadian Government. Apparently the additive they put into the gasoline a few years ago destroyed the fuel pumps. It seemed to affect Chrysler and to a lesser degree GM pumps more then others. here is an exerpt I snipped from DaimlerChrysler.

"In Canada, Shell Canada settled a lawsuit in which an additive in their gasolines created problems on fuel gauges, especially in automobiles produced by DaimlerChrysler.

A settlement was reached in the class actions filed against Shell Canada Limited on behalf of persons who used Shell gasoline products between March

1, 2001 and April 15, 2002 and who incurred out-of-pocket expenses due to fuel system problems before July 31, 2002. The settlement applies to Canadian residents outside of Quebec.

Under the settlement, Shell compensated people who owned or leased vehicles that were filled with at least $100 worth of Shell branded gasoline between March 1, 2001 and April 15, 2002 and that experienced fuel pump or fuel sensor problems before July 31, 2002.

There are three classes of claims and compensation:

a.. People who owned or leased 1996-2002 Chrysler vehicles (except Jeeps) were fully reimbursed for fuel pump and fuel sensor repairs and for eligible out-of-pocket expenses. b.. People who owned or leased other 1996-2002 vehicles and who can establish that the fuel pump or fuel-sending unit had a particular residue on it were reimbursed for eligible repairs and out-of-pocket costs to a maximum of $175. c.. People who owned or leased pre-1996 vehicles and who can establish that the fuel pump or fuel-sending unit had a particular residue on it were reimbursed for eligible repairs and out-of-pocket expenses to a maximum of $100. " Another exerpt from APA website: Class Action Suit Authorized Against Shell Oil -- July 18, 2003 A class action lawsuit against Shell was authorized for consumers in Québec on July 18, 2003.

From March 2001 to March 2002, Shell included an additive to its regular-grade "Bronze" gasoline that allegedly damaged the fuel supply system of many vehicles. Shell estimated that between 100,000 and 200,000 consumers bought "Bronze" gas during that period; the exact number of adversely affected vehicles remains unknown, however the number of incidents reported is highly significant. The most commonly damaged vehicles are from the Acura, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, General Motors, Hyundai and Volvo brands.

Reply to
David

Thats a completely different set up. the 95 uses has a metal tank

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
Dave

Put some lubricate on the locking ring before installing it. It will go on alot easier and will tighen down better

Reply to
maxpower