Fuel System - 96 Caravan

My 96 caravan now runs out of gas when the tank is half full. I replaced the fuel pump a few months ago (used unit), and has run fine for until now. My theory is that the fuel pickup elbow (with fuel sock) has fallen off of the pump. This would effectively causing the pump air once the fuel level was about half way down the pump body. However, I thought there might be another cause. Does anyone know if problems with venting/evap system could create the same symptom?

Reply to
Mike C1

Carl Baron

How about instead of an expensive complicated thing that is subjet to breakage, a simple 50 cent pressure relief valve built into the fuel pump itself. When the output pressure surpasses a predetermined amount, the valve opens and bleeds fuel back into the main tank.

That's such a good idea I am going to suggest it! Quick where's the phone number.. oops, I forgot there already is one in there....

never mind.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Did you have the fuel tank replaced under warranty? The first round of plastic tanks in the '96 vans were known to warp and were readily replaced by dealers.

One of the signs of warpage, unfortunately, are running out of gas because you think it's still got some in it. The other is only being able to put 14 gallons in a tank that has run dry.

My 2 cents.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Snyder

Thanks for the comments. I replaced fuel filter the other day, and ran out again today. I then filled to full, the tank taking 6 gallons to reach full. The tank is the original warped tank, but the bottom is not warped inward enough to cause a run out after 6 gallons.

Does anyone know if the evap/purge system can possibly cause a vacuum in the tank strong enough to counter the pump pressure? That is the only explanation I can think of, other than a cracked/broken/disconnected inlet tube on the fuel pump.

I just hate to drain and drop the tank again, and find out the problem is elsewhere.

Mike C

Reply to
Mike C1