Gallons! How to tell the fuel computer to use proper UK Gallon

I live in England and we have the Gallon. I imported a US Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 2007,

and its fuel computer is wrong!

It thinks a gallon is about 3.something litres! Instead of 4.54 litres. Thats a US gallon of course! Our original Gallon is bigger. So...

Since the same ish vehicle is sold here Chrysler voyager, there must be a way with a combo of button pushes etc to change this! Does anyone know how?

Thanks!

Reply to
Burgerman

In the US a Gallon = 4 quarts, in Canada and the UK a Gallon = 5 quarts.

A UK dealer would be your best source for information on this issue. It may involve a program change in the computer.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

No, in a REAL original British Gallon (Imperial Gallon) there are 8 Pints, 4 Quarts or 4.54 litres.

In the US and Cannada your Quarts must be the wrong size too!

I just looked it up! Your pints are smaller as well! So your quarts must be too...

There are 8 proper pints in a proper gallon. But there are 9.607 of the US pints in a real gallon! Does this mean you get less beer too?

A UK Gallon is actually 1.20095 US Gallons.

I will go to a dealer but I suspect they wont know... Its why I asked here. Someone must have come across this before!

Reply to
Burgerman

At the risk of getting into semantics....

The Imerial Gallon is 4 quarts also! However the Imperial Quart is 40 fl. oz. - whereas the American Quart is 32 fl. oz.

That makes an Imperial Gallon 160 fl. oz or 4.54 litres, and a US Gallon 128 fl. oz. or 3.78 litres.

Thank GOD that a fl. oz. is the same in both systems.

And living here in Canada, let me just say that at least the US was smart enough NOT to go "metric". All that was here in Canada was an excuse for retailers to rip people off - it was a smoke screeen for price increases as high as 50% - but almost no one noticed because of the changes in the measurement systems and the resulting confusion.

I will keep an eye on this thread! I would LOVE to find a way to tell my on-board computer ro display in Imperial Gallons!

If you find out how, please let us know!

Thanks

Reply to
NewMan

The American gallon is actually older then the Imperial gallon. The American gallon is the British wine gallon which was standardized by Parliament in 1707. The Imperial gallon was introduced in 1824 as a replacement for the many different gallons that were in use in England at the time.

The American system of fluid measures is binary which makes more sense in a digital world then the metric system which is base 10, or the Imperial gallon which has a decimal pint (although that's nice in a pub when you order a pint of ale).

ounce = 2 tablespoons gill = 4 ounces cup = 8 ounces pint = 16 ounces quart = 32 ounces gallon = 128 ounces

The mile is also a binary measure, it's 8 furlongs. The Roman mile was

5000 feet which is a good round decimal number. Queen Elisabeth changed it to 8 furlongs. Unfortunately she didn't bother to binaryize the other length measures, they are a mismash of 12s and 5s, i.e. a furlong is 12 * 12 * 5 * 5 inches.
Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

But since we invented Gallons and the US only took it over (Like English) we are right and the guys selling you short measures many years ago are responsible for your mistake!

Well yes! How did that happen!

Well the intelligent shopkepers and industry in general just took advantage of the averagely bright canadian then. You cant blame the measurement systems.

but almost no one noticed because of

Well me too! Thats why I started it. I find it frustrating...

Reply to
Burgerman

I stand corrected! But how do I convert the Dodge Caravan to real (ok British!) Gallons!

Anyone???

Reply to
Burgerman

Have you checked with a dealer? If they sell the car in the UK then there must be UK firmware, I doubt they have different electronics but they would have different firmware.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I'm not sure it is possible. Our 2001 UK spec Grand Voyager has a sticker in the manual telling you what to multiply the mpg reading by to get the correct value. I'd have thought that it would be better to reprogram it than put a sticker in the manual if it was simple to do.

It doesn't bother me particularly as we run on LPG, so the fuel consumption figures from the computer are meaningless - but if anybody does know a way I'd be pleased to learn it.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

Where's the steering wheel in your Voyager? It's hard to believe that they would go to the trouble of moving the steering wheel but they couldn't be bothered to change a single constant in the firmware for the trip computer.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

In the correct place, where any civilised country puts it :-) It is on the right hand side, i.e. this really is specced and built for the UK, not a simple import from Europe or the US. (FWIW it is built in Austria).

Car manufacturers move in mysterious ways... The sticker in the manual set looks "official" - i.e. very nicely printed.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

Yes, thank God the USA didn't change everything. The smaller USA quart and gallon was probably a typical big business marketing decision to short change customers.

The USA is metric in many ways. For example new USA vehicle designs since about 1980 have been metric dimensioned. I've even bought gas in liters in the Mammoth, CA area, in the early 80s.

So much was made in a negative way in Canada when we went metric in July

1981. Many said it was horrible that we left the Queens measurement system. Well in August 1981 I visited the UK and had a chuckle when I saw they went metric for gas (petrol) a few months earlier, in the spring! I applaud the metric system, but I'm horrified that many grocery goods are sold in both measurements, with Imperial being the most prominent. School students in CDA have been on metric since 1981, so many no little of the out of date Imperial system.

However thank goodness we didn't mix up the measurement systems as the UK did. The UK really screwed up their weather maps. Celsius for temperature and MPH for wind speed. Very confusing for visitors, with this mixed system. Since in the UK petrol is sold in liters and distance is in miles; a mix of measurement systems here as well!

There may be a way to change your display to Imperial. My wife's 2001 Sebring allows one to select Imperial or Metric for the computer display, simply by scrolling to the selection. However it may not handle the UK mixed systems, unless the ROM is changed. Have you called Chrysler UK technical assistance? You could ask here:

Some O

Are you sure about that? According the numbers you used above, a US ounce is 29.53125 ml, while the Imperial ounce is 28.375 ml.

This is reasonably consistent with Wikipedia, which states a US fluid ounce is 29.5735295625 ml, while the Imperial ounce is 28.4130625. ml.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

In the US it is legal to sell fuel under the metric system, depending upon State regulations. It is legal to do so in New York. Several chains tried this when gas went over $1.00 per unit and the mechanical pump meters could not go over $1.00 per unit. Public reaction to this was not positive and I have not seen a metric sales setting on a pump in a very long time.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Exactly. Whatever arguments one may evince in favour of a duodecimal (based on 12) or binary system the most practical from an everyday point of view is the decimal. So I say, thank goodness the UK DID change to decimal/metric, even if it did not change completely when the currency went decimal in 1971. Weights are now decimal, too, but legal distance isn't. Still, I bet not a lot of British school children know how many inches or feet there are in a mile.

In the eurozone countries many businesses, especially smaller, uncomputerised ones, took the opportunity of the currency change to raise prices. It was a once-only effect, though. (As they did in the UK when the currency was decimalised.)

I wonder how many of the proponents of non-base-10 systems would like to see their currencies revert (as in, e.g. AU, NZ, IN, GB) or go to non-decimal...

I grew up with 20 shillings in the pound and 16 ounces to the pound, but I don't miss them, even if it's more convenience to say "a couple of feet" that "several decimetres"...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

You have to appreciate our muddling-through ways...

However, there is a background as to why two weights were/are shown on, e.g., food packaging. The obvious one is 1 lb and 454 g.

Up to our recent change the LEGAL weight was 1 lb, with the metric being indicative. Now the LEGAL figure is the metric one.

Although I can't prove it at the moment I reckon that the reason fuel pricing changed to pence per litre was because the price was going through GBP 2 (or was it 1?) per gallon, a politically 'explosive' number. Easy side-step: charge per litre. Now that we are close to GBP 1 per LITRE how will they re-price to hide that...?...

Changing distances to km could be hugely expensive as all the road signs would have to be changed. The Irish did it, but it's a much smaller country with, I think, proportionally less traffic than the UK. Needless to say, for quite a while signs in miles and km were up at the same time.

Interestingly, the use of litres per 100 km is not used here. Occasionally one hears of miles per litre (now that IS mixed) but I think that (or km/l) makes more practical sense than the very common l/100 km.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Not small" Canada changed from miles to KM in 1981. Perhaps the UK is waiting the change to KM for when they start driving on the right side. Interestingly, the use of litres per 100 km is not used here. Occasionally

L/100 KM is the standard, although I feel KM/L would make more sense.

Reply to
who

Reply to
Ed.Toronto

By "small" I didn't mean in physical size but quantity of traffic and density of signs. The UK has nearly twice the population of Canada.

And Sweden changed from driving on the left to right (was it 30 years ago?). Not so difficult. Physically big country but very small population. And a lot of Swedes had LHD cars anyway.

Plus it made some sense, given the long land borders with LHD countries.

The only country with which the UK has a 'proper' land border is Eire, and it drives on the left, of course.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Well I think I figured out now that you cannot do it... Oh well.

Reply to
Burgerman