heating/coolant level

Last week the heater on my 1987 T & C wagon suddenly began blowing cold air when the temperature control was set to hot. I had a similar problem with a previous vehicle where the cable running to a flap that allowed hot air from the engine to enter the ventilation system had failed.

I later noticed that the engine was running hot.

The next day I noticed a very small puddle of dirty coolant mixture beneath the car. As it turned out the coolant/water level in the radiator was very low. Obviously I have some type of leak.

Anyway, when I replaced the coolant, the heat began working fine. Could someone explain the connection between the coolant level and the heater?

Thanks.

John

Reply to
Redlocks

The coolant is the fluid that serves as the transfer medium between the engine block and the radiator - as well as the heater core. If there is no coolant, there is no transfer so not only does your heat not work, but your engine overheats.

You need to find out where the coolant is leaking from and have it repaired, as overheating is not particularly good for your engine.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel