Help! Transmission problem Voyager/Caravan

Hi!

Found this NG and writing to ya'll from Sweden.. :-) I have a -95 Chrysler Voyager (Dodge Caravan) AWD with 149000 miles on it. Have the following problem:

When the car is cold, transmission seems to work ok and just starting it up and driving away it changes the gears perfectly. Now, when the car is hot/very hot and let's say I stop and leave it idling for a while, transmission go crazy. When I put it into D it engages 1:st gear, but when it's supposed to shift into 2:nd it goes into NO GEAR AT ALL...and leave me revving... (like neutral..but you can hear it "trying" to engage but nothing happens.) At that point the only thing I can do is to engage the Reverse, (which works but with a clear "boink" when it engages.) Now, if I turn the ignition OFF and start the car again it DOES engage 1:st gear fwd but that's it...same thing happens all over again when it's supposed to go into 2:nd... (been turning the car off, starting up and driving home on 1:st gear (L) cpl of times now to get the car home..LOL..) When the car cools off completely, transmission works ok again.

Had the oil changed some months ago, and repairman says he definetly put Chrysler's own oil, but when I was on the phone with him just now, he said the oil he used was a C+ATF for both GM and Chrysler transmissions!!...hrrrmmmm, makes ya wonder huh?... Anyway, he said we can try to change to Castrol TransMax Z or Redline oil

So, whatcha think? Anybody had similar problems? Could it be just an oil-problem? I just hope transmission isn't completely fried already as it works great and changes gears perfectly when completely cool.

Cheers and Merry Christmas from The Old Country MK

Reply to
Bluuzer®

The fluid they used was not correct. It may have caused a major $$$ repair for you. I'd be very upset if they had lied to me. Let us know what they find. Use only Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman