hum/groan in steering column

Our 2002 Chrysler Town & Country minivan with 42K miles has an occasional humming noise that seems to be coming from the steering column. it is not audible once i step out of the van or when i raise the hood to listen. Steering remains normal and turning doesn't change the sound, but the pitch does change when I accelerate. The sound usually begins after driving for at least a half hour and then stopping at a stoplight. I haven't had a mechanic look at it yet. I

just want to ask first if that sound is something to be concerned about, or what to expect if I have a shop look at it. I would guess it would be hard for them to duplicate it.

Reply to
atwork3253

My WAG - the brake booster is making the noise (acceleration => vacum changes, noise starts when stopping at a stoplight). When DC boosters go bad (and they do go bad), they make a high pitched whistling or squealing noise that changes with application/release of the brakes. Does putting varying amounts of pressure on the brake pedal change the noise at all?

Bill Putney

The biggest problem we are seeing at the dealer concerning P/S noises are low fluid due to leaks at the cooler and the rack itself or just having the old fluid flushed out and new fluid added. This noise is normally in the morning or cold days.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

On my 2003 (long out of warranty) I'm getting a hydraulic sound from the steering after driving at high speed for long periods (hours plus Min of 75 mph). It's goes away after a some time of slow driving. The dealer flushed the fuid after the first complaint and it seems to goawa for a few months and now its back. It's happened again after a long trip and it starting to be a little niosy all the time. Is this the pump or the rack, or should flushthe fluid again?

Kevin

Reply to
KS