Identifying engine year

My nephew is rebuilding a 1974 Plymouth Scamp. My aunt was original owner. She babied the car but had the misfortune of spinning a rod bearing at 35,000 miles when the car was 7 years old. The dealer (a reputable one) replaced the engine with a junk yard one since she did not have the money for a new one.

My question is where do we locate the engine number and which of the digits identifies the year of the engine? KJB

Reply to
kjbltd

Is it a /6 or V8?

Reply to
Road Runner

Yes. We need to know if it is a 6 or a V-8. On small block V-8's, the ID is located on the front of the block, just below the right cylinder head. On slant sixes, I believe that it is located on the boss where the distributor is mounted. There may be more info available at allpar.com.

There should be a way to decipher the casting number to obtain the month and year that it was cast.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50