Is this a head gasket (2000 Dakota)

=A0Well, I looked at the 2000 Dosge Dakota I have at home that was my brothers. 1st I tried to start it but it had sat so long the battery was dead. Charged the battery for a minute. Got it to crank a few times but not start. I went ahead and took the plugs out:

6 =3D 90psi 3 =3D 190 psi (120 checked later) 5 =3D 105 psi 2 =3D 90 psi 4 =3D 95 psi 1 =3D 95 psi

These are the compression readings and the order I checked them. 1 being the drivers side front, 3 the drivers side back, 4 being passanger side front, 6 being passanger side back. After checking all compression I re-checked # 3 because of it being so much higher than the others. It was 120 at this time.

When I pulled out the plugs the best I could tell they were ok. Looked worn. Except number 3. It looked wet but not drenched. Also, On this plug, the porcelane on the bottom of the plug around the gap was broken, also, the grounding part that curves over (The part you adjust the gap) was brken in half and missing.

Cranking with no spark plugs, light vaporized mist or or something came from most of the holes but #3 I could tell had more coming out. It was like water or droplets as I cranked much heavier than the rest.

I took a piece of winshield washer hose and stuck it down a few of the spark plug holes and sucked with my mouth. (Probably not smart). Never really got much of anythign out with the exception of #3. There was some gas in there but also a sweet taste. (Would this be antifreeze?)

Inside of radiator hose had brown granulated crud that I could pull out with my finger. Almost looked like brown sugar but a more red color.

If I did not mention, truck has 151,000 on it. Overheated on my brother. White smoke rolling out when it warmed up. When he had it towed to my house, I started it right up and drove it about 200 feet to park it and had no trouble at all and did not notice any sounds or anything unusual.

Can I assume this is a blown head gasget around # 3? What is the liklihood this is a cracked head? Should both head gaskets be replaced? Should I go ahead and have the heads machined or check with a straightedge and then if ok don=92t worry about it?

I want this to run right but money is a factor. My salary has been cut recently due to the hard economic times. (Still thankful I have a job though).

Reply to
stryped