Just coincidence, or...?

I came across the wheel-lock key from our '96 Stratus that had gone to the wreckers years ago and thought to compare it with the one for our
'02 300M. Imagine my surprise when I found that it fit perfectly.
Are there really only a very few different "patterns" of locking wheel nut?
Perce
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 21:05:14 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

It would not surprise me (nor would it be mere coincidence) if your wheel-lock key fit the wheel nut of a completely different make and model of car. All manufacturers (whether they produce doohickeys or thingamabobs) usually abide by certain specifications and standards.
Manufacturers do this mainly for two reasons: 1) Standardization allows for lower production costs, and 2) it provides the greatest amount of cross-compatibility for the customers. It is very possible that if you had lost your wheel lock key, that you could go to your next door neighboor and ask to borrow his/her key (regardless of make/model of car) and still be able to unlock the wheel nut.
James Rau