Newbie with questions - Be gentle with me!

Greetings Merc People.

After previous ownership of an '85 280TE a while ago, the Mercedes bug bit me again today, and it bit *hard*, so, in a fit of possible insanity I went and bought a 1982 500 SEL.

Car is as follows. Silver, 170000 miles, velour trim (booo!), bubbly round the front wings and rear arches. Brand new genuine Mercedes front wings were included in the deal, as were repair panels for the back arches. Very straight body, chrome etc is intact, a few bubbles on the doors above the mouldings. Not too far gone to save though, will do at the same time as the arches etc. (This month, or I'll never do it)

5 new Goodyears, recent brake discs, pads and lines. New Bosch battery.

Recent shock absorbers and suspension bushes.

Engine is sweet as a nut, oil pressure is 3 on the gauge, drops to 2 when warm at idle. No tappet noise, no cam chain rattle, pulls like a train, doesn't smoke, starts 1st time every time. (started for the first time in months within about a second)

Exhaust backbox is pretty knackered, but I'm going to have a mission with the MIG welder to see if I can make it last a few thousand miles.

Transmission is a bit slippy changing from 2nd to third, but the car has been standing for about a year, wondering if it'll either get better or worse with use. Going to change the fluid at the same time I do the oil and filter. Otherwise drivetrain seems fine.

Speedo doesn't work, neither does the front passengers window. Everything else works fine. Sunroof, headlamp wipers, mirrors, lights, aerial etc.

Central locking doesn't work either, previous owner reckons there's a pipe under the back seat or something? Any clues? This means I can't get into the boot because I've not been to Mercedes yet to get a key cut yet.

Aircon needs the pump refitting and regassing. Probably needs the pump reconditioning though knowing AC.

Interior is very clean and tidy, rear seats look unused as does the passengers seat, drivers seat bolster has worn through, rear foot rests are unmarked, full M-B first aid kit is present and correct. Steering wheel still has tread.

Has to be worth £350 though I imagine.

Any tips or advice?

Reply to
Pete M

Congrats, great car!

The vacuumpump for the central locks is located in the trunk, next to the spare tire in the right hand rear corner. You need to check if this is working. If the pump is ok, then you probably have a broken vacuumtube somewhere. You will need to use some pressured air to check where the leakage is.

It is possible to get the trunk open without the key, if you remove the backseat you will have access to the trunk via some small holes in the trunkcase. Use a stick or some wire to release the trunklid.

Absolutely! Be nice with it and it will be worth more.

Yes, one very important advice: Remember that the car is more than 20 years old. Dont drive it like its a new sportscar, dont go to the red all the time just because you get a kick out of the acc.

Have fun!

Reply to
Thomas

The drivers door lock controlls the vacuum pump. The pump will opperate for about 20 seconds with eack lock/unlock. Listen for air leak at each door as the door acuators often leak. It is compicated and you may break something if not careful, but you can access vacuum line inside passenger or rear doors. A little high pressure air may do the trick or at least the sound of escaping air will lead to problem. At least the fuel flap is not locked.

On my W126 chassis, the fuel tank is between trunk and back seat, a very safe location. I once tried to remove my back seat, motorized in SEL, and did not get very far. The chances of getting to the trunk lid release do not seem very good to me.

The cost of fixing the air conditioner will likely exceed the cost of the car by several times.

Post back your progress.

-Kent

Reply to
Kent_Diego

In news:m_yPb.47495$XD5.31390@fed1read06, Kent_Diego decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Went to Mercedes to get the master key cut, was impressed at £11.00+vat and key should be here within a few days.

Yeah, the pump is in the boot. Locked in the boot.

It's locked at the moment... does it unlock when I release the vacuum then? If so, there's a pipe under the back seat that should be ok to separate for a few seconds..

Nor me, I had a look before..

Probably, but if it's just seals and regassing I'll give it a go. I love A/C.

Reply to
Pete M

The pump will creat pressure to unlock for ~20 seconds until proper pressure is reached then shut off. I am sure this pressure quickly leaks away. The pump reverses to lock creating vacuum.

-Kent

Reply to
Kent_Diego

If you remove the seat completely and then the remove the (what is that word in english?) hatshelf(?). You will now see a small opening from which you have access to the trunk.

Reply to
thomas