Lack of turning radius

I recently had a problem with my serpentine belt on my 96 Plymouth Grand Voyager letting go and taking out the seal in the power steering pump. I took it to a local repair shop and asked them to change out the pump for me.Not wanting to get into all the details of all the trouble the shop had with this simple installation but suffice to say that when they had finished installing the new pump and starting up the van to check for leaks they discovered that the main seal in the rack and pinion had blown and power steerring fluid was just pouring out of the seal, they realized that the pump they had just put in was also leaking and they had to replace that again.When they did the inital inspection for leaks they only found the pump was leaking. They shampooed the engine compartment so I know for sure there where no other leaks showing.

My questions I would like to know are these:

  1. Could a defective power steering pump cause the seal to blow in the rack and pinion.

  1. I have since lost the turning radius I had before when making a leftt hand turn. Is there two different size rack and pinions for this model of vechicle (ie long and short wheel base)? Could they have installed it improperly? I have a long wheel base model with 15" wheels. I have went back and was told that what they did was correct. I am just a little suspicious because of the shoddy workmanship and service I received on my last visit.

Any info would be appreciated as I am currently in contact with the store owner and trying to recouver some of the money I had to pay out for the rack and pinion that was installed, and if they installed it wrong I want to have it corrected...

Thanks for your replies in advance.....

Tom.

Reply to
Tom

Didnt you post thist awhile back???

Reply to
maxpower

I asked the question about the pump blowing the seal in the rack but never really got a definitive answer about it. I just got a lot of crap about not doing proper maintaintence on my van. This post is mostly about the loss of turning ability since the new rack was put in and if there is something possibly wrong with this rack or installation. Besides, so what if I posted this before I certainly have the right to post it again and seek additional information and not have the likes of people like you asking if I posted before.If you don't have anything to add to the post PLEASE just keep your comments to yourself and let someone else reply with some knowledgeable answers. Thanks again NOT..... Tom.

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
jdoe

this group.

rack but never

Well, frequent anyway......

Reply to
cavedweller

Sure, for fun and amusement.

For actual, real, valid information, though, or for general coherence...mmm...perhaps not.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hmm it was just a quesiton. good luck in finding what you need

Reply to
maxpower

Lite bulb back again? Makes his stupid comments and then hides behinds his screen, Is that what you do to your customers Stern?

Reply to
maxpower

Thx Joe

Reply to
maxpower

The answer to your question is that yes they either installed the wrong rack or installed it wrong. Make them fix it right or take it somewhere else & have it fixed right & give them the bill. Of course you may have to sue... It may be that they simply have the tie rods mis-adjusted toward one side. It would line up, but not turn as far in one direction. Perhaps a good alinement shop could check it for you. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

If you can't take the heat, get out of the nuclear reactor.

Reply to
ThaDriver

Thanks Paul...will take your advise and have the alignment checked out....will keep you informed...

Reply to
Tom

Thanks Paul...will take your advise and have the alignment checked out....will keep you informed... Thanks Tom.

************* BTW I do know how to spell alignment - was just in a hurry... LOL! ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"
Reply to
ThaDriver

Hey Paul...I never even noticed...lol I don't worry about spelling myself because sometimes I mis-spell words too....

Reply to
Tom