'93 Voyager 3 speed auto band adjustment

Yeah yeah yeah, still looking for a decent shop manual... All I have for now is my (ugh) Haynes and the internet...

1993 Grand Voyager 3.0L, 3 speed auto, just rolled over 180k kms.

I finally got around to changing the fluid/filter on the minivan today. I intend to change the fluid in the pan three or four times to get as much of the old fluid out as I can, this was #1. The fluid looked pretty good considering the age (relatively few kms over that time). Adjusting the bands looks fairly simple but I have a couple of questions that the Haynes won't answer. First, where is the adjustment for the kickdown band (I think that's the proper name, I don't have the manual infront of me)? It looks like it's part of the linkage ontop of the tranny but I'd rather have confirmation before I take that apart. Second, the low/reverse band. According to the Haynes, to check it for wear I apply 30 psi to a port on the tranny and take a measurement. Fair enough. It then goes on about adjusting the band, again, looks easy enough, BUT is that port still supposed to be pressurized for the adjustment too? Or just for the measurement and adjust with no pressure?

I did notice that part of the linkage was sticking (looks like part of the kickdown system). A bit of oil, tighten a spring slightly, and it's much better. Maybe that's why it couldn't decide between second and third last weekend...

Reply to
SBlackfoot