Lebaron contrible Hydraulics - Refilling Procedure ???

I just changed the top on my 1989 Lebaron convertible. I got a really decent used top and I installed it myself. During the process most of the hydraulic fluid in the lift cylinders got lost. Now it's installed but the pump won't move it because there's no fluid in the system. So how do I go about replacing the fluid in the system?

Reply to
Bill Perdue

I think there is a plug on top of the pump motor housing.

Reply to
mark french

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (mark french) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:

On my 1990, there's a rubber plug in the passenger side end of the housing. The manual says it uses DEXRON II ATF.

I just changed the top on mine. Got it from a junkyard and swapped out the entire frame. Didn't have to disconnect any of the hydraulic lines. Was soooo much easier than trying to just replace the top cover or buying a new one and having it installed on the original frame.

These top frames* must vary a little in dimensions because I had to adjust the quarter windows inward at the top a little to get them to slide into the rear channels properly, then I had to change the door window guides a tiny bit to fit properly to the front edge of the quarter windows.

*Or possibly the width between the top frame mountings.

The nastiest part of the job was removing the rear seat and side panels, especially the bottom cushion. I had to break and then replace the two plastic clips that hold it down to the floor at the front.

The bottom mount holes on the top frame are slotted, so those bolts can be partially screwed in and the frame set onto them, which makes it much easier to do the rest of the install.

Get the other two bolts in on each side then snug them all up. Re-connect the cylinders** to the frame then run the top up all the way. Raise all the windows then latch the front of the top down. Check that the top fits OK to the windows then loosen then fully tighten the six mounting bolts. You shouldn't have to touch them again.

**There's a nut on the inner side of the mount that holds a bracket with a pivot pin and the rod ends connect to the mechanisim with special shouldered bolts you can only get at with the top all the way up. Once unbolted, run the pump whichever way is needed to be able to get the cylinders out of the way.

Unlatch the front and raise the top a bit so you can install all the nuts and bolts that hold the rear of the top to the body. Latch the front down again then fully tighten all those nuts and bolts.

After removing two complete tops, it was a piece of cake figuring out how to install one and make it all fit. :) Of course having someone to help lift the heavy and cumbersome top helped a lot. The only problem was none of the yards had a good, white top. I had to settle for a grey one, which looks OK with the silver paint.

Reply to
GAlan