Ford's Convertible Top Repair & Adjustment Manual

Does anyone know where I can get Ford's Convertible Top Repair & Adjustment Manual?

Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Forrester

This one?

__

John C. '00 GT Convt. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

got an error

Reply to
memsetpc

Steve,

I do not suggest you try working on the top yourself, as you obviously do not quite have a grasp on what your problem is. Contact your local Mustang club and seek their guidance. it's free.

Bill S.

Steve Forrester wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

-------------------

Is this convertible top manual specifically for late model Stangs? I just looked it over quickly and the top linkage diagrams do not seem to represent the top linkage in my `03 Stang. Seems that this manual may be for an older car (?). It might be helpful in a general way, but don't know if it shows specifics for late model Stangs. Or maybe it does? Anyone? I recently replaced a defective "link" in my top linkage... this part is not shown in the manual here.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

I could tell you, but you'd simply reply that you've exercised that option to the fullest... The Crotch Viper '95 GT

(former Modless Wonder #1)

Reply to
CrotchViper

Hi Steve, These tops have a gazillion parts and pieces. The vinyl in them is subject to tearing, or splitting after they get a little older and the thread degrades. The vinly does shrink in cold weather and forcing it can cause the vinly to seperate from the fabric backing creating bubbles in the top.

Seriously, Bill S's suggestion that you put it up as far as it will go and park it in the sun is the best idea you can use. Be sure that you open the latches so that when it setteles they do not gouge your paint at the top of the windshield.

If you force it, you may tear it. If you put chemicals on it, it may discolor, dissolve or damage the material.

I know you are frustrated, I would be too, but if this will help you in any way to be patient, read the following: Replacement top: $250 - $500 Installation of new top: $500 Knowing that you were smart enough not to break it.. PRICELESS!

I have been through three top changes on my two Mustangs. It's a royal pain in the neck. I'm a pretty savvy girl, do a lot of my own work on my car and I took mine to a shop for the top. I didn't necessarily WANT to, I bought the Ford Service CD, and studied the diagrams and R&I procedure, and decided it was a task for a professional.

One other thought, if you have an electric blanket, try putting it on high and laying it over the closed top for a few hours. This may provide enough warmth to regain it's elasticity. If not, then wait till you can save up the $$ and take it in. I know what it is to be broke and need to fix your car. It's frustrating, but if you do it right the first time it will cost a lot less in the long run.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
SVTKate

Helm doesn't list such an animal for 1993 mustangs. try

for yourself and see if it turns up. The convertible top is likely discussed in the service manual:

1993 Mustang Shop Manual Price: $85.00 Out of Stock. Media: Paper Language: English Part #: FPS1219393 Shop Manual has over 3000 pages of detailed repair instruction written by Ford. Information contained in each body type specific manual, has been developed to aid technicians in diagnosing and repairing vehicle components and systems. Each manual covers the entire vehicle bumper to bumper including specifications, diagnosis and testing, in vehicle repairs, component removal and installation and complete engine and transmission rebuilding. For Specifications Manual, Supplements and other items, please begin new search.

Note: For engine emissions controls and transmission/transaxle controls diagnosis, also purchase the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis manual. Description: Instructions And Procedures For Routine Repair Adjustment Maintenance Work Diagnosis/Testing And Removal/Installation Of Parts For Various Vehicle Systems.

Reply to
Brent P

THANKS

Reply to
Steve Forrester

How can I get air out of this system? I didn't saw it on this manual. It only tells to, that there might be air if its's not working properly. I know that I might, because I had broken hose and put new one.

Anryo.

Reply to
Anryo Raamat

Taken from the 2001 Ford Service CD:

System Bleeding

  1. If required, remove the hydraulic system from the vehicle. Refer to «Hydraulic System, Lift Cylinder and Motor» in this section.
  2. Remove the fill plug at the end of the hydraulic pump.
  3. Fill the pump with Mercon® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or equivalent to the bottom of the fill hole and install the fill plug.
  4. Note: Some noise squeal may be noticed due to the air in the system. Connect a 12-volt power source to the motor connector and operate the motor until the cylinders are fully extended. Reverse the 12-volt connection to fully retract the cylinders. Repeat this procedure three times.
  5. Remove the fill plug and check the fluid level. Fill the pump with MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or equivalent to the bottom of the fill hole.
  6. Install a fill plug.
  7. Install the hydraulic system in the vehicle. Refer to «Hydraulic System, Lift Cylinder and Motor» in this section.

That's it.

Reply to
Nick Burns

Or you could contact the local hoodlums to gouge it for you and have the Insurance pay a Professional to install a new one for you! ......... you didn't hear that from me though! :>O :>O j/k!~

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu