Sunbird convertible top replacement

Hi. I have a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird convertible (with a plastic rear window ... that just cracked from the cold) and I'm looking at replacing the top. My dilemma: The car's only worth around a thousand bucks, and the installation folks I've checked with are charging $550-$700 to slap the new top on it, which doesn't make the most financial sense.

So, two questions for anyone who actually knows something about convertibles:

  1. The top is about five years old, but not in bad shape (staples coming out a bit and it's a little roughed up on the inside, but there are no big tears or anything).What's the likelihood it would survive the installation of a new window?

  1. I've considered installing the new top myself. While I'm decently mechanically inclined, I've never done anything of this magnitude before; what's the chance I end up entirely screwing the pooch during the process?

Any advice would be appreciated, either posted here or e-mailed to me.

-tjg

Reply to
Gibbey

Putting on a convertible top has about the same level of difficulty as drilling and filling your own teeth! I've done just about everything you can do to a car successfully... EXCEPT for putting on a convertible top! I've tried several times on several different cars and can never get it right. Several of my body shop and mechanic friends have had the same bad luck installing tops. I've watched the pros do it and it's more of an art than a science! You MIGHT find someone who will just replace the window, but I highly doubt it. Tough spot. I know LOTS of people who have 80's and 90's Cavalier and Lebaron convertibles who are in the same boat as you. Sad but true. Time to sell the car or pony up the money to get the top replaced.

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Replacing a top & window is a BIG job.

I had a rear window ( plastic ) installed in a 89 Cavalier Z 24 in 1996 and it cost $180.00

The black mouldings around the edge of the top and the top edge of the quarter panels needs to come off. You need to lay upsidedown in the trunk to unbolt the side mouldings, The moulding around the trunk lid edge is screwed in through the water drain channel.

There is no water drain channel for the top like cars had in the 50's -

70's. The top on your car is tacked to tackstrips that are attached with rivets to the outside of the body.

With the mouldings off you'll reveal the tacking holding the top & window in place. The Windlace Trim strip & two screw in caps across bow # 3 on the outside of the roof also comes off. ( if equipped - it was eliminated on the glass rear window tops 1993-95 )

Remove ALL the tacks from the top & bottom of the window.

After removing the tack strip & tacks out of bow #3 the top can be flipped up to reveal the inside of bow # 3. The top edge of the window and the side pads are tacked in place. remove all of them & the window will come out.

One trick some shops do - instead of removing the window tacks at the bottom of the window they slit the window with a razor, leaving about 1

1/2 inches of your old window in place, then they retack the new window over the old yellowed edge of the old window........tell them you want the entire window removed from the bottom tack strip !

Its IMPORTANT that ALL the tacks or staples are REMOVED from the tack strips & bow.......this is where you seperate the guys who know what there doing and the guys that are just installing something.

The problem with leaving the old staples or tacks in is they tend to break off and poke new holes in the window or top when its reattached...more chances of leaks from more holes. All tack holes need to be sealed too !

One problem with multiple tops, all the staples or tacks chew up the tack strips. This weakens the strips & the new staples don't grip as well. TAck strips on your car are a hard rubber / plastic.

I've done a little bit of work on the two convertibles I've had. Its not fun. The biggest concern is when I'm done is the car going to leak after the first rain or car wash?

Work I've done on convertibles;

  1. Replaced Bow #1 ( Header Bar ) & weatherstrip due to both rusting out. 68 Buick.

  1. Replace all weatherstrips on Z 24

  2. Repair top motor - Z 24

  1. Retack & reseal lower portion of rear window - Z 24.

5, Replace quarter panel tack strips - Z 24.

Adding a new top if you really don't need it isn't going to increase the value of the car. I wish I hadn't had the top put on mine in 1999. but I did need a new window in 1986.

The replacement tops for the Sunbird / Cavalier do not have the silence flaps that tuck in around the weatherstrip on back portion of the quarterwindows. They are sewn into the corners of the top and GM found out this was a common area for tearing out, so they were eliminated. If you can slide your hand in between the canvas and the extreme lower corner of the side windows , then your top doesn't have the flaps. There was also a spring running through the inside of the roof in that corner to help hold the roof material in as it folded. The springs tended to break off & poke through the canvasso they were eliminated as well on aftermarket tops.

The key to plastic window survival on the Sunbird / Cavaliers with the plastic window is you have to UNZIP the window before putting the top down..Not doing this does 2 things.

  1. The window gets all crushed and creased and then has folding marks.

  1. The upper edge of the top directly over the window folds over the window and puts a scuff mark the full width of the window....you get a new scuff mark everytime you put the top down.

Unfortunately 98 % of the people driving these cars don't do this.

One solution to avoid this is to place a towel over the window after its unzipped. The top will sit against the towel and not the plastic.

Ask the top shop if they can sew in a strip of cloth to the well cover and add a couple snaps to the side of the window curtian. I had attached my towel with snap fastners so it wouldn't blow out when driving with the back window open. which I had opened ( unzipped )most of the time.

The window is pliable so its bound to pic up some scratches from dust & dirt & washing it. NEVER run through a car wash with brushes and NEVER run an ice scrapper over it.

Good Luck !

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,450 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face