Lights on engine quits!

Hello. any advice would help as the garage is closed until Tuesday and I am trying to figure out why my Safari quit after starting just when I turned the lights on? I have been have electrical oddities such as the clock resetting after every start up, and headlights flickering a bit and now the van has power to everything except the headlights and the engine wont turn over. Thanks for any input.

Reply to
honeypot

Hi...

Not a mechanic, not even close. But seeing as you may be somewhat stuck, I'll suggest a perhaps worthwhile do it yourself check...

You've got the two highest current draw devices in your car not operating, so take apart and clean thoroughly the battery connections, see if that helps. If not, look at where the batteries positive wire connects to the engine block; make sure that connection is good.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

sounds like a short somewhere my guess would be the posative wire to yor starer.also there should be a fusable link going to starter...if thas not it might have altanator and starter checked when your garage opens back up...and like the guy sais make sure cables are good and clean.....good luck...

SCRAPPER.....

Reply to
Scrapper

Ken - you obviously meant the *negative* wire to the engine block.

Though I am not familiar with that particular vehicle, if there are any intermedaiate power junctions - such as a positive jump post (for jump starting), check that the connections there are tight. Headlights flickering and intermittent non-starts are classic symptoms of a high resistance connection at the battery and the main ground, as Ken suggested, and at the jump post if it has one.

Bill Putney

Battery may be kaput. Pull the battery and take it to the parts store and let them test it for you. Resetting the clock on start tells me that the voltage has been dropping pretty low on startup for a while.

If the battery is still good then start cleaning and tightening connections. Battery first then trace the battery cables to their final destination and clean them good there as well and see if it starts.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

i'm not trying to be a smart as. i'd go ahead and put new cable ends and cables on it if you can afford it...good luck...and a happy new year to you and all thats in this forum..

Reply to
Scrapper

Hi Bill...

Arghhh, thanks for the correction... appreciate it

Usually warn everyone that I'm not a mechanic, sometimes warn people that I'm old and stroke damaged. This shoulda been one of those times.

Thanks again, and take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel