likely cause of misfiring and no idle

I recently acquired a 1999 Grand Voyager with 3.3L engine and 124,000 miles. It will start only if the accelerator is pressed, and it will not run at idle. Also, it runs roughly and without full power, as if one cylinder is dead, but I'm not so sure it has a dead cylinder because I removed the plug wires one at a time and it seemed to make the engine run worse in every case.

Everything else on the van works great.

I think I remember reading on this forum that the later model Chrysler vans will not display fault codes on the dashboard the way the older ones do. Is this true? Anybody have any suggestions that might shed some light on this, or should I cough up the cash for a diagnostic scan?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Sounds like it could be a fuel pressure problem. If you're lucky a clogged filter, but could also be a failing pump. If it was mine I'd definitely get a diagnostic, including fuel pressure. Diagnostics are cheap compared to other ownership costs.

Reply to
Dave Gower

New clue: I notice a strong smell of unburned gasoline in the exhaust.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

"Robert Reynolds" wrote

Low fuel pressure could cause this, but so could other causes i.e. low ignition voltage, sensor malfunction etc. But there really is no way for someone to diagnose this over a newsgroup. Today's vehicles are just too complex. And oh yes I would NOT drive it very far that way. You could get a damaging backfire.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Unburned gasoline in the exhaust could be caused by LOW fuel pressure? I was thinking that it would be caused by a broken regulator resulting in too much gas.

I drove it home about thirty miles a couple of days ago and it drove OK. It just felt like it was lacking power, but everything seemed to work just fine.

I'm getting ready to take it in for a diagnostic check.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

When were the ignition wires last changed? If original, replace them and do the plugs too if it has been a while and see it that helps. Those wires will only give about 5-6 years/100K of service from my experience.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
philthy

"Robert Reynolds" wrote

An excessively rich mixture produces black smoke, which you did not mention. An excessively lean mixture can result in partial burning, leaving raw gas in the exhaust.

Reply to
Dave Gower