low fuel chime

hey guys , a couple of days ago , the low fuel chime started sounding when the tank was full , why would this be. i noticed yesterday that when the van comes to a stop it does it and when we take off. i have a

98 plymouth voyager, 3.3, any ideas would be great before i take it in to the dealer. thanks fred
Reply to
fred

When the fuel level sending unit goes bad, it'll cause the low fuel chime to go off. But usually, the fuel level indicator will also wander up and down the gauge. There are other reasons the chime will go off, like leaving the turn signal on for more than a minute or a door not closed all the way????

Reply to
David J. Allen

It might not be your low fuel chime, in my case it was a low fluid level in the master brake reservoir. Every time I took off a little quickly I would hear a chime and then look down at the dash to see no light at all. It was only after I found a deserted area (no traffic) where I could take off while looking at the dash, that I saw the "brake" light come on....for about a half of a second.

The front brake pads had worn and the reservoir was a little low, but only when I accelerated and the fluid would be pushed back in the master cylinder would the chime sound, and only once at a time. While the car was sitting, the fluid, while lower than normal, was still safe.

A little bit of brake fluid immediately cured the problem, and of course, doing the front brake pads was needed.

SRG

Reply to
SRG

Did the low fuel light come on too? Does it have one?

I know that my door open when driving chime sounds the same as my low fuel chime, as does my hand-brake on chime. (2003 SX 2.0 -- Canadian Neon).

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

This happened on the '96 T&C. The fuel gage needle would swing down to "E" and when it went through about 1/8 of a tank, the bing binged.

Assuming it was the sender: this is embedded in the fuel tank. It didn't seem like a job I wanted to tackle so I did what I usually do in such circumstances: I procrastinate.

After a few weeks of this (and my wife complaining about the incessant binging), it stopped. Then, it stayed stopped. That was about four years ago.

My advice: procrastinate. What have you got to loose?

On a related matter: I am neither for nor against apathy.

Regards,

Ken

Reply to
Ken Stoorza