Head Gasket problem???

Hi.

I have a 1991 Dodge Shadow with 188,000kms. Went to the garage and the mechanic removed my spark plugs and inserted a thin rod with a light at the end into each cylinder. Only in one cylinder did the light seem like it was emitting a smoke trail. He mentioned that I would need a head gasket...is their any other test that can be done to verify that it isn't anything else that is causing the problem? Any side effects to performing the test? Also how serious is this problem?

Alberto

Reply to
Alberto

I never heard of a light test to determine head gasket problem. The usual test is compression and leakdown test. You should find another mechanic. BTW, what was the problem that caused you to suspect head gasket problem?

Reply to
Rajsircar

Be grateful you've gone this long with nothing serious from the head gasket. My Caravan 2.5 gasket failed at 135,000 kms.

Unless you're really fond of this car I'd suggest just keep on driving it until you get oil in the anti-freeze, or serious oil leaks, or fouled plugs, or it starts to burn too much oil or antifreeze, then donate it to your favourite recycle yard. I gather you live up here in the Frozen North with winter salt, and if so you probably will soon get one of a number of terminal safety-related problems i.e. front subframe rot, suspension component fatigue, wheel bearing failure.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Hi.

Over the past two years I've been loosing prestone, plus my heater goes on and off during the winter months all on it's own. So I figured that my heater core was the problem, plus other idle symptoms that are related to my oxygen sensor & speed sensor which now have been corrected. So why the head gasket, well the above or maybe it could just be that my Rad. is at end of life? Do you know what the light test shows?

Reply to
Alberto

Blown headgasket dumps white smoke out the exhaust pipe, thats a telltale sign. Not to mention you can smell it out the exhaust to. Antifreeze in the combustion chamber tends to do that.

Reply to
chris