Low volume on this NG

Does anyone know what has happened to this newsgroup? I have been on it for close to 15 years, and the volume has really dropped recently.

Is there another forum that is being used now? There were some really good contributors that I have not seen hear for some time.

KM

Reply to
KirkM

Usenet is dying because ISPs keep dropping usenet service. For example, Cox Communications (my provider) dropped USENET this summer. I would suspect most young people don't relate to it because it's "old fasioned" and the ISPs cater more towards them than the older folks, so they can save money by dropping the service.

Reply to
Steve Newman

Plus, when you go to the groups day after day, and all you see is spam crap, like buy purses cheap, you quit going.

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer

they are all "bloggers"

Reply to
rob

I would have thought that at least in this group (if not others) that the drop would be caused because people in certain age demographics have something better to do during the summer than read or post to usenet.

People that have problems with their (ugh) minivan (or other chrysler vehicle) are usually motivated to find and post to this newsgroup. So either there are fewer problems with chrysler products, or people with problems are really not taking the time to find a way to post here.

The regular chit-chat pertaining to chrysler is down, probably because there is basically nothing noteworthy happening with the company. No new cars, no new corporate news, etc.

There are plenty of text-only newsgroup servers. Perhaps most people really are brain dead and can't figure that out.

ISP's drop usenet for liability and legal reasons, not cost reasons. They don't want to risk being taken to court or being seen as operating a server hosting copyright-infringing or liable/defamation or obscene or illegal or emotionally troubling or hate material.

Usenet is enjoying some revived popularity in as far as the paid binary servers are hosting giga-bytes of copyrighted material available for downloading (movies, music, etc).

It's sad that you haven't figured out or discovered that the free servers (like the one I use - AIOE.org) operate various spam-detecting features (cleanfeed, noceum) such that I almost never see any usenet spam postings in the groups I read.

I see that you're a "google-grouper", and hence there is basically no respect for people like you by some usenet veterans who look down on you and the method you use to access usenet (google groups). Some of them go to such lengths as kill-filing any posts made through google, on the assumption that the posts will be spam or will otherwise be of such little value as to be ignor-able.

Google does not seem to operate any spam filter, and they archive every spam posting and sporge flood that comes their way.

You are advised to start using a real usenet client and connect to a real usenet server. I recommend news.aioe.org.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Bit of an extreme reply...especially at the end.

Usenet in this form is dying. I see it in my other groups.

My ISP dropped usenet (without warning, I might add) end of July. They had been using Giganews. I switched to Eternal September but it makes no difference to the volumes, obviously.

DAS

Reply to
DAS

As mentioned by some others, my ISP does not provide a usenet server either, so that is why I starting using Google. Whick usenet client would you recommend for Windows?

KM

Reply to
KirkM

Although others scoff at it, I've always used Outlook Express. When Cox dropped newsgroups I simply changed servers to: news.eternal-september.org It's free for text and more than meets my simple needs.

Reply to
Steve Newman

KirkM unnecessarily full-quoted:

Most email programs (like outlook express) can also read and post messages to usenet.

You should start by reading this:

But the short answer to your question is:

- Forté Agent

- Outlook Express

- Opera Mail

- Mozilla Thunderbird

- SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups

Most windows users use Outlook Express, since it's usually already installed on most windows systems (possibly not Seven or Vista).

If you don't like OE or don't have it, the next best candidate is probably Thunderbird or Seamonkey.

But note that Opera and Forte Agent is also somewhat popular.

Reply to
MoPar Man