May buy Stratus or Breeze, 2.4L headgasket problems?

I am considering buying a used Stratus or Breeze for my daughter. I vaguely remember that the 2.4L engine prematurely blows headgaskets. When was this problem fixed by Chrysler? Are there model years to avoid? How much does it cost to get it repaired?

Reply to
Bill D

The 2.0 and 2.4 L Chrysler engines from 95 to 98 1/2 model years in the Neon, Stratus, Breeze and I think Cirrus had headgasket problems. If you are going to buy one of these cars, take the VIN to a Chrysler dealer and check to see that the headgasket has been replaced with the MLS type headgasket.

They started using the new headgasket at the 1998 1/2 model year, so I wouldn't buy an earlier model unless it's proven that the correct repair was done. I loved my 97 Stratus and was a pretty good value for the amount that I paid for it. It did have to have the headgasket replaced (2.4 L) under warrenty and didn't give me a bit of trouble after that.

Scott

Reply to
SRG