Merc R-Class: Pacifica by another rname?

Pacifica by another rname?

Discuss.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote in news:43357a74$0$12175$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com:

I don't think there are many (if any) shared components between the two. From what I've seen, it appears that the engine is mounted longitudinally in the Benz (IOW, it's a RWD with a transfer case providing power the the front), as opposed to the Pacifica which is primarily FWD.

Sure, they look similar, but that seems to be the trend these days. It's the station-wagon-meets-SUV syndrome. I think other makers will be following suit soon, if not already.

Regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe

Just as ugly, but no, it's not a Pacifica.

Reply to
nospam

Funny thing is that the R-class concept vehicle appeared at the same Detroit Auto Show as the production Pacifica, allegedly without the Chrysler Group people knowing it even existed. Kind of like the DBenz people hurried something along so they would not look "behind" or something.

The two vehicles are totally independent of each other, yet in the same general classification. I suspect the DBenz people needed something to "save face"?

Also kind of funny that the 3.5L DBenz V-6 in the Crossfire has basically the same power as the first gen Chrysler 3.5L V-6. In the displays, the DBenz engine looks really neat and expensive, but doesn't make a whole lot more power than the orig Chrysler 3.5L V-6. So much for looking neat and being made by DBenz.

Just some thoughts . . .

C-BODY

Reply to
C-BODY

But is it quieter? The 3.5 from Chrysler makes a racket.

Reply to
Art

Nothing mechanical in common with the Pacifica. Looks more like a bigger version of a Scion XA than a Pacifica (which is to say its fugly). It is the same "market segment" I guess.

But overall, I would say "no."

Reply to
Steve

Not if its working right.... I think the Chrysler 3.5 is one of the better-sounding v6s out there (though all v6 engines sound pretty poor compared to a v8).

Reply to
Steve