Chucking out electronics - Merc leads way?

Will we see car reliability rise?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

See, this is what happened to my car, I believe. (Not that "posessed by demons" is completely ruled out.) Whether it's because of some sensor that got wet, or simply a computer glitch, after they charged the battery that had run down, and put the car on the Star diagnosis, and cleared all the codes, the weird behavior went away. Actually, the car got "better" in that the electric driver's seat worked better than it had in a while, moving more quickly (at least that's my impression) and to full range. (Since I am petite and my husband is tall, it's an important detail to us.) Also, the radio and climate control is working properly. So far.

~Des

Reply to
Des

I saw your earlier post (E320 1998) and before I got to the end I did think of the smart-aleck reply "ghosts" but you thought of it anyway, I noticed :-)

An experienced technician at my (almost) local Merc service station has commented about the increasing problems with increasing electronics and motors.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Sunday's NY Times had an article about all the antennas that upscale cars carry. It's a wonder (to me) that all this stuff works at all!

Their example is an S Class M-B which can carry up to 18 antennas!

AM-FM Radio - in the windshield Radar cruise control - in the grill Keyless Go - an antenna in each door and the console Satellite Radio - in roof Navigation & Cellphone (combined) above rear window Tire Pressure Monitor - one at each wheel + spare Emergency notification system & GPS - left rear bumper + left rear door Parktronic - inside bumpers TV in roof panel

The higher the technology the greater the obsolescence (and depreciation).

As these cars age the DIY owner won't need wrenches but rather an electrical engineering degree!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

(snip)

Oh, dear... I've got one of these... (1998 E320)

Not entirely happy with the electrics. On very cold days, often long after starting and warming up, the "fuel tank low" flasher comes on, even though he needle and actual fuel level is way up. To fix it, I have to stop, park, switch off engine (key fully to the left), and then restart.

Also, randomly the ventilating fan speeds up to full for just a second or two then drops to proper speed. Very odd! BTW, I had to have this fan replaced recently (67,000 km) due to a failure of the controller output DC driver transistor - I'm told you can't buy it separately. Cost = arm and a leg! Value of transistor: 50 cents, but not sold separately. Does anyone want a perfect fan unit? (Motor, fanwheel and housing.) Email me at: "analogdino 'at' rogers 'dot' com" For those keeping score, would I buy another MB? Sorry, no (and I've driven them for 15 years.)

Cheers, Roger Toronto, Canada.

Reply to
Engineer

Someday when a bulb burns out we will have to replace the car.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

and you wonder what the next smart bomb is going to hit.

BEEMER

OR

the MB CHRYSLER look a likes

AM only please with the WONDER BAR ?