New Yorker Ignition problems

I have a 92 Chrysler New Yorker and after the car is sitting for a while when I try to start it nothing happens. I then turn the key several times and it finally starts. I replaced the ignition switch but I did not replace the tumbler. Could it be the tumbler even though the tumbler is working when I insert the key?

Reply to
baldisbeautiful

No. You have a starter relay problem, a nuetral safety switch problem, or a connection problem - not a mechanical problem.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

How would I troubleshoot this. I am not real familiar with all of this. Please help!

Reply to
baldisbeautiful

When you say that *nothing happens* does that also mean that you are ruling out a click from the solenoid?

If you are getting a *click,* if could be the solenoid contacts problem.

-Kirk

Reply to
kmatheson

I mean nothing at all happens except for the dash board lights come on and the Headlights come on but nothing else. It does not turnover at all.

Reply to
baldisbeautiful

Listen for the solenoid click. You may need to be outside the vehicle to hear it. If the click is heard, then the starter won't turn, then it could well be the solenoid contacts. Check this group archive as there has been a lot posted on "solenoid contacts". If no click, then check the battery post connections, the engine grounds, the starter connections, and the starter relay. If those all looks good, then check the ignition and park/neutral safety switch.

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I do hear the solenoid click but nothing happens for several tries.

I think that it is the starter solenoid.

Thanks

Reply to
baldisbeautiful

The magneto. One of the great curses of the certified aircraft engine. There are plenty of good reasons for its demise, and few reasons to bring it back. (did you ever notice airplanes need TWO of them)?

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce