not in backwards

I've removed the thermostat completely,because it overheated with the new one in it.It was in correctly. From: "maxpower" Subject: Re: 97 intrepid overheats Date: Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:45 AM

My 97 Intrepid is overheating.3.5 litre Removed thermostat,replaced water > pump,flushed rad,replaced pressure cap,bled system,checked for exhaust gas > in coolant with dye test,fans are working fine,even unplug sensor so they > ran all the time.It pukes coolant out overflow when it gets halfway on heat > gauge and then overheats.any suggestions anyone?? > Gerry > >

Is the thermostat in backwards?

Reply to
gerry cochrane

philthy

Did the problem exist before you flushed it? What happened first?

Reply to
Art

Just a tip I found with a '96 T&C:

I thought I had tested and replaced everything but when I looked very closely at the radiator when it was running hot I found a very small leak. It dripped a tiny bit at high temperature only and it evaporated after dripping down the radiator about 5 inches. It was extremely small.

I first used some of that radiator stop leak stuff and sure enough the leak went away and it stopped overheating for a while. Everyone here advised against the stuff but it worked for a temp fix. The leak came back again after a few months and it would overheat again.

I replaced the radiator this time, it was about $300 installed. They flushed the system and refilled everything and I haven't had a leak or overheat in months.

I was surprised how such a small leak could cause this problem, but it all has to do with keeping the system pressurized. Water that isn't under pressure boils at a lower temp so everything boils out until the system has no water and then the engine temp gets too high.

Sucks, but that is how my saga ended.

Art wrote:

Reply to
Just Me (remove