(OT)Plans to make changing own oil illegal?

Anyone heard of this? Some guy on a local radio home improvement show was claiming that that will happen within 5 years. Is there anything to it? I find it hard to believe.

Bill Putney

The States or Canada?

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Reply to
Bill Putney

Wouldn't surprise me. A local county in northern Virginia (Fairfax County, I believe) just passed a law that makes cut Christmas trees in certain types of residences illegal. Hmmm...maybe the county executive is Ebenezer Scrooge?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I think there's a lot of environmentalists that would like to see this happen because there are too many people who change their own oil who then dump the used oil on the ground, which contaminates groundwater. But I don't see how the sale of new motor oil can be regulated or restricted because it is not a hazardous fluid. I think actually that you can drink clean (non detergent) motor oil without getting sick. Certainly you can drink mineral oil without problems, it's sold as a laxative.

I do know that the EPA has been requested by some groups in the past to officially classify used motor oil as a hazardous waste. They have declined to do so because they feel it would discourage recycling of used motor oil because then your corner auto parts store would have to then be certified as a hazardous waste handler (or anyone else who took used motor oil).

It may also be that in states that do not have mandatory curbside recycling (as they do here) there is talk of mandating that any retailer that sells motor oil must accept used oil for recycling, (which would be a good thing, frankly) and the retailers are complaining that this would make motor oil too expensive to sell.

This sounds like an urban legend to me.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

This sounds like more of a bunch of crap than anything else. Ad it to the never ending comments about taxing the Internet. My idea is that if it sounds unbelievable, then lost times it is. Also, I am sure the oil companies will have a say at them losing business.

Dan

Reply to
SaintDan

Why would the oil companies lose business? Most people who change their own oil are probably more maintenance conscious than are people who take their cars in for all routine maintenance. I doubt they will simply stop changing their oil once they have to take it somewhere to have it done. I wouldn't be happy about such a requirement, but I'm certainly not going to stop maintaining my car properly just because I have to take it to a garage to have it done.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Bill Putney wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@kinez.net:

That's absolutely true today. You can run your engine from brand new to dead without ever changing your oil. Of course, the life expectancy is probably between 10-20,000 miles running this way, but it'll certainly be the life of the engine!

Reply to
Barry Bean

The same radio host also claimed in the same breath that the rumor is that cars engines will be sealed (by law or by design as a marketing advantage, he didn't say), it will go over 100k miles on the factory oil, which made the whole thing seem that much more bizarre and like total b.s.

Bill Putney

This is nothing new ... Amsoil has been claiming this for years! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

A modern motor car can go up to 15 000 miles or more between oil changes. Just follow the trip computer.

If you have such a car and wish to change your oil more often than recommended then it's extra money for the oil companies but, on the other hand, it's a lot cheaper than paying for therapy to treat your worries...

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Reply to
Mike Behnke

It is "Phase-4" emissions. A federal plan that is still on the books with no implemantation date. With phase4, the engine is a sealed engine with no "user" assessible parts. With phase5, the computer can override and put the car in "limp home" mode if it decides you have become a "gross emissions producer"

Dan

Reply to
news2

Any ideas on a starter problem that I have been having?

'85 Ply Voyager Van, 5speed manual, 2.2 engine.

When you turn the key the starter whines (spins), but does not engage. It happens about one out of every three starts. Once it happens, it keeps happening until you either, turn the key completly off and wait a moment, rock the van (doesn't matter if it is in gear or not), or pump the clutch a couple of times. The other times, the van starts fine.

No maintenance was done on the van in the 6 months prior to the problem starting. It happens both when the engine is hot or cold. I do not hear the starter hitting the flywheel. I have replaced the starter. Both the old and new starter bench tested fine. Remounted the starter four times. Replaced the ring gear on the flywheel. Replaced both the + and - battery cables. Replaced the battery. Installed a Ford starter relay to bypass any chance of corrosion in the ignition switch/selinod wiring.

Thanks

Reply to
news2