Overheating 1997 LHS solved

A while back I posted to this site about my '97 LHS cooling fans not cutting in when they were supposed to. Checked everything, fans, relays, connections etc. nuthin'! The problem is that the Factory Service Manual (FSM) diagrams show only one sensor sending a signal to the "computer" (control module) which in turn controls both the signal to the relays and the dash guage (gage). Since the guage showed a rise in temp, it seemed reasonable to assume that the engine sensor was working correctly.

In desperation I finally ignored that and replaced the coolant temp sensor on the engine anyway and, presto, the fans started cutting in again the way they're supposed to. My problem is now fixed and maybe someone else can benefit from the experience. It only leaves me with one nagging question. What controls the guage on the dash???

-Hank

Reply to
Hank NB

Hi Glenn,

The 22 code was never set and no check engine light ever came on but whenever the temp guage read high, the engine didn't sound too happy and had a tendency to "ping".

I know the guage is "fed" from the control module but it seems reasonable to me that the control module gets its info from the engine coolant sending unit (sensor). So you would think that if the guage reads high, the control module would also send a "turn the damn fans on" signal to the fan relays. Go figure.

-Hank

Reply to
Hank NB