P 0440 Trouble Code

Just had a grease monkey change the map sensor. Now the car gives off an odor and the 0440 trouble code has appeared. Any ideas what I should look for? The code makes a general reference to the emission system. It is an 04 Town & Country with a 3.8 and 95,000 miles.

Reply to
Richard

Typical Customer!! Had the map sensor replaced, don't explain why it was replaced, when it was replaced or any other info about his problem but blames the person that last worked on it. I will give you alittle insight on what the P0440 fault is if you promise not to blame me if your taillight bulb burns out!!

A P0440 fault is general Evap system fault and could be as much as leaving your gas cap loose. ( but you probably wouldn't admit to it anyhow.) Assuming that the gas cap is tight and not hanging off there are a couple of hoses that dry rot and could cause this fault to set, One is under the vehicle at the Canister and the other under the air cleaner. There is also a switch called the NVLD (Natural Vapor Leak Detection) that is supposed to see a closed (sealed) input when the evaporative system is sealed and no leaks are present. If this switch goes bad it will also set this fault code. A scan tool would be needed to see this input. With mileage this vehicle has I would lean towards the hoses being cracked causing your problem. If you cant visual see any cracks in any hoses you may have to have a smoke test performed along with a scan tool connected to verify the fault and diagnose the problem.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech for 28 yrs. ( grease monkey)

Reply to
maxpower

I've seen his brother 'The Trunk Monkey' on TeeVee.

Like monkey shit?

An evaporative emissions leak? (just a wild guess)

No it doesn't. It's a very specific code.

Stuff starts breaking at that age and mileage.

Reply to
aarcuda69062