Please Help w/ Code P0491 on a 2005 Chrysler Sebring

Please can anyone help me! I have a 2005 Chrysler Sebring I recently purchased. A few days after driving it off the lot the check engine light came on. It gave a code of p0491 which reads as a Secondary Air Intake System Bank 1. The Chrysler dealer I have been going to doesn't know how to solve the problem either. Please help me. I have already spent hundreds trying to figure out this problem. I have been to chrysler numerous time since 2/17/2010 and they have not been able to figure out the problem. I have replaced a pcv valve, map sensor, cam sensor, and now a pcm. All of which has not lead to an answer as to why the check engine light will not go off and why it is giving this code. Please help I am going broke over here!

Reply to
lovepeteypablo1

Check the wiring to the associated sensors for breaks/shorts.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It sounds like it had a problem before you drove it off of the lot if the engine light lit up just a couple of days after you purchased it.

but to me that code sounds like an O/2 sensor issue, but it could be anything from a vacuum leak to whatever.

Reply to
m6onz5a

I just dropped it off at Chrysler today and they stated that they needed to keep it for a couple of days and it would be anywhere from $200-300 just to look it over again and check all the wiring. Ugh so frustrated.

Reply to
lovepeteypablo1

It's not under any warranty??????

Reply to
m6onz5a

Yes the code was on the first day I saw the car. When I brought the issue up they said they would take a look at it and it could be any little thing. WhenI came back to see the car the next day the light was off. They said it was the gas cap. I test drove it and it was fine. I went back the next day and paid cash and drove it off the lot. Two days later the light popped back on. I took it back and they changed the cam sensor and the light stayed off for two days and then came back on. The dealer stated there was nothing else they could do and that was that. From there I took it to a Chrysler dealer and they have done all of the replacing. I dropped if off today and they said it would be another $200-300 just to check and go over every wiring. Ugh this car is driving me nuts.

Reply to
lovepeteypablo1

No I purchased it as is.

Reply to
lovepeteypablo1

It has less than 73000 miles on it

Reply to
lovepeteypablo1

Pretty car. The only Chrysler I ever had an itch to buy. Hope it works out. Don't get discouraged yet.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Did you buy it at the Chrysler dealership, or at a used car lot??

Does your state have laws that will protect you under the circumstances you bought this car? If so, bring down "the law" on the seller.

Now, if you have no other alternative, find the best independent mechanic that you can find and let him have a look at it. If the dealership has no responsibility to you, at least find somebody who can fix this POS. And the dealership is apparently numb-nutted with this challenge.

Reply to
hls

I got it from a used car lot. Not here in the state of Illinois so if you buy a care 'as is' it is just that. So I'm screwed.

Reply to
lovepeteypablo1

Does this use AIR pump(s)? If so, the one for bank 1 might have failed, or the solenoid that controls the air flow, or least likely might be the 1st O2 sensor on that side.

The system checks for this code by momentarily allowing air into the exhaust manifold on that side, and watching for a change in the O2 sensor readings.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

BINGO! Give that man a kewpie doll!

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

New O/2 sensors probably couldn't hurt. Hopefully the converter isn't bad. don't give up.. It's an emissions related issue. You can still drive it.

Hey did you purchase it state inspected??????

Reply to
m6onz5a

They told me that this car has a California emissions system on it. They believe that it is the valve because they checked it and it keeps sticking. They said it was really hard to find it becuase this system only comes on in the first 20-60 sec of starting the car and when its cold out. So by the time I drove it to the service department the car was warm and the system was off. So it is a emission issue and although Illinois has different emission requirements the car would fail because of the system that is on it. So the price to get the problem solved is $410. So I have spent a grand total of $740.72 trying to slove this problem. I am not happy about this at all. Thank Everyone! I Hope they have final found and solved the problem!

Reply to
lovepeteypablo1

2 random thoughts... IIRC, that thing only runs briefly on a cold start. put our hand on the pump and have someone start the car... you should feel it if its pumping. Also, I've been seeing allot of those air systems clog lately... Remove the air delivery hose from the manifold and start the motor. You should hear a putputput. If not, its roto-rooter time. HTH Ben
Reply to
ben91932