EGR trouble code

Anybody good at diagnostics? I keep seeing the same trouble code set on my

1999 Subaru Outback. I have a code reader and it sets a P0400 which translates to a EGR system malfunction. I've check the EGR system as per the Haynes manual. I'm leaning towards perhaps the computer is receiving bad info from one of the O2 sensors and the computer interprets the faulty signal as an EGR malfunction. Any help?
Reply to
Lawrence Quimby

O2 sensors are one of the first things to go on any car today, so it's possible.

Reply to
Alan

Follow-up on EGR problem. It seems to be fixed although I haven't driven more than 100 miles thus far. I discovered the BPT (backpressure transducer) valve was defective. When I removed it from it's bracket and shook it water came out. I called a local tech and asked if there was a way to check it. He said apply pressure to the exhaust port and it should flow. However apply vacuum to the same port and it shouldn't. Mine allowed air to travel in both directions.

Reply to
Lawrence Quimby